Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Update on nonmoving B-112

LeoB

Ok, I took the differential out and split the case, I was careful not to let it all fall apart. Looks like a fair amount of damage. What's confusing though is that my service manual shows what appears to be one main gear approximately 3" in diameter. I'm finding parts for gear like that, but I also have one mounted on the hub too that's all chewed up, the drawing isn't showing that. Am I missing something here? The planitary gears at this point appear to be free of damage, but alot of the brass bushings are shattered. I'll take a closer look tonight, I need to get some degreaser for a better inspection. I'll need to take some pictures of it the way it is still assembled before I really get into pulling all the remaining bushings, washers and gears out for cleaning and closer inspection. The question remains, is it appropriate to buy the parts and rebuild or should I be looking at a new differential if they can even be found? If buying a new unit, any idea on cost? Thanks, Leo

I had the same problem with my 700's diff a while back while the brass bushings and gears were availible the hub gear was not. The part that replaced the hub is of the newer style without the limited slip set screws. I opted for a used diff even though I had bought the newer hub. Also not availible for the older machines are the spacer shims for between the axle gear and housing. Good luck!!:)

One thing to look out for is that the newer "Gear and Hub Assy." is longer than the old "Gear" and "Hub" and will need the longer axle shaft of the newer style, if I'm not mistaken....

Damn.... I missed out on the differential on Ebay. Someone bought it with a buy it now bid. I would've done the same thing. I guess I'll put a call out on the classifieds and see if anyone has a differential and hub assembly that isn't doing anything and is maybe looking to make a few bucks. Thanks for the advice. Leo

I have a b10 diff with a broken axle tube. anything in there that would help you out?

YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO SAVE THAT HUB! I just visited an old shop(was once a Simp/AC dealer-went into other lines but hung on to many old Simps & ACs and all his inventory of parts for his dedicated following as well as his own fondness for them)that will likely close due to the owners age & illness. We were talking about the hubs & gears/diffs (since i am repairing my own). What they have done to replace a gear on an existing hub is to machine new holes for the rollpins in between the existing holes in order to save the hub.

another update. I cleaned everything up this morning with degreaser and unfortunately it's worse than I initially thought. 5 of the planetary gears are shot. All of the bronze bushing are shot. 2 of pinion spindles are cracked. All the main bolts that the planetary gears ride on are shot. It looks to me that the bolts are the main culprit, just wear and tear I suppose. 3 of them were worn in such a way that they were grooved about an eighth of an inch creating alot of play with the gears in the differential. I suspect that the main differential gear failed and then the resulting shrapnel did the rest of the damage. I would recommend checking the bolts in your differential the next time you have it out. 35 years of wear just did it in. The thing that bugs me is that I had it out this past winter when I put a new axle tube in. Had I known, I would've cleaned up the differential then and maybe found the worn bolts. Oh well, live and learn. Rokon, I'll email you tomorrow... I am definitely interested if it'll fit in my tractor. Callwell, I'll check into your idea as well provided I can get a replacement gear to mount to my hub. I noticed in the classifieds that several people are parting out 3112's and 3212's. I'll try them as well. If I can just buy a replacement hub along with Rokon differential. I might be back in action soon. As always, than an awful lot for your help and advice. It makes it alot easier to make decisions when you can bounce off ideas with people who understand what you talking about. I'll let you know how it all turns out. Leo

I would watch ebay and post in the classifieds... Someone has a good used differential they will sell....