Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wasted BGB

alanscott

What could have fused to the shaft like this? I don't think it's worth rebuilding, excess play in the front shaft and the right side of the driven shaft. Just by looking, I think it's wore into the case. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/alanscott/DSC00002.JPG[/img]

Don't know what could have fused to the shaft, but I do see that the bolt that holds the input gear onto the input shaft is missing. I would think that if the bolt backed out into the shaft, the shaft would also show wear, rather than fusing. Pat

I agree, the input shafts bolt and washers are looking long gone. This happens sometimes - either age with all the vibration, or improper torque at a previous repair time. Unless the housing is worn into, it is almost always worth rebuilding a BGB. I know it can cost a little money, but unless you get a free used one, most people want way too much for an item that could easily fail once installed (unless they let you pull the back cover to check gears and how much sludge is in the case from the 30 year old oil that was never changed). At least the money you spend on new bearings, seals etc. will (should) last you a lot longer. Good luck!

I doubt the case has been damaged. I've rebuilt a couple BGB's over the years and the only one with case damage had extreme input shaft wobble - the input shaft was "orbiting", driveshaft and all. Opening up the box showed the gears were almost completely stripped, the front needle bearing was destroyed and the input shaft had chewed much of the needle bearing mounting area making the case unusable. Based on the condition of the gears in the photo, I doubt the shafts had enough wobble to chew the casing, but only disasembly will tell. A used box was obtained, but I still put in new bearings and seals to ensure it was as good as new. The gears don't look too bad from the photo, and if the shaft is salvagable, you might get away with just bearings and seals. If you find the gears are too worn, a set for the larger BGB are $120 at Jack's Small Engine (a friend's Homelite also has BGB problems atm).

I would tear it down and see what you ahve before making a call to toss it.. It may surprise you and be netter then you think .. Like they said above evenif you get a used on you don't know what you have til you open it up and take a look