Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

andy gartner

PTO clutch rods, linkages, parts, pieces

andy gartner
A topic probably discussed many times before, but... can't find in site and forum "searches", so.... any suggestions, adjustments, refabs etc., on how to limit vibrations which eat up PTO clutch rods, guide assembly rod (spring holders)? These pieces, as you|) know, activate and engage the mower deck. Since 1984, have probably rewelded these parts (on a Broadmoor 728 for example) many times. Notice various model years have relocated these parts, back and forth, presumably to resolve this problem. Thanks, Andy

andy gartner
Gee Andy, Ouch! 39 lookers and no responses. You must be some kind of dumb cowboy. Maybe if you took your motorcycle helmet off while cutting the grass, you might observe the problem at hand. It wouldn't hurt if you started smoking and drinking too, that always helps, move things right along. You see Andy, this is a problem for Mister Rogers, who unfortunately, is no longer with us. But, in the alternative, here's what I suggest: Reverse the clutching rod and rod/spring holder, like they did on the 738, then reverse that, as on the earlier 577. If this fails you, try the 5008/5010 setup. Or stop using the deck. Besides, you have other tractors to use, I checked the registry. Anyway, I hope this was helpful or that someone else more knowledgable can illucidate the problem. PS. What kind of huge black dog and old farmtruck is that in your galley photo? Looks like a 40's truck. You old geyser, did you use it to date chicks before you got old and funny lookin'.

mowerman1193
The last time I used my 728 I noticed that the rod is chewing up the guide/spring holder also...I have never had any problems with the 717 though...and I use it alot more...might be just a lack of oiling the linkages ect.I belive the manual says to oil all the linkages and moving parts with a light oil every (25 hrs.I think).

UCD
Andy Welcome to the club. Don't get discouraged with the number of reads and no replies. Most likely the ones that have read it don't have an answer for you or have not had that problem. In all most 4 years on here I have never seen it mentioned. If you are talking about the rod ends wearing grooves in them I would suggest making some bushings for them and putting washers on both sides of the arm to take up any side play.

tractormike
Don't be disappointed by the number of reads and no response. I try to read most all of the posts and questions and answers just to get more info on these tractors. If there is a way I can help out I will post what I know about the problem and what I did to fix it. Many times I don't know the answer and do not leave a comment. There is a great deal of experience here and sometimes it takes a while before the right person with the right answer reads that post. Welcome to the club!

MDB
Hi Andy, Welcome to the club, I ussually don't poste unless I know the answer to the question asked so don't get discouraged, the answers are out there. There is a wealth of information here...8D^

Ishmael2k
Hi Andy, I agree with the rest, don't get discouraged. Especially as it is Sunday and a lot of us have other things to do first thing in the am. :) I would have posted but I have never had this problem either as all I own are the newer style of ACs and Simps. Rob

andy gartner
Well schucks boys, Thanks for the encouragement: Mowerman, UDC, Mike, MBD, and Ismael, much appreciated! Yes, 'patience-all things in good time.' I too was out working on the brood, getting those deck bottoms scraped off...till the rains came...again. And you have given me some good options. Going through the forums, I see you fellows quite often, and must say, as I already wrote Kent before joining, this is a wonderful site. A rare gemstone, technically excellent and painstakingly laid out. In many ways, rivalling and excelling over other commercial, professional, manufacturing sites. It's all here, and you've much for which to be proud. As a former consultant to industry, please remain assured, this is deserving praise. I am in hope your brethren will tolerate my tongue-in-cheek, perhaps sometimes misunderstood, dry sense of humor. My forum responses when given will always be well meaning. Thanks, Andy