Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Best oil for tired Engines???

johnb110

To expand our oil debate a bit... What IYO is the best oil to use in a tired old stinky oil burner that you don't have the time to rebuild in the middle of mowing or blowing season. Also has anyone ever had any success in just doing a ring job without a complete rebuild??? John... who just mowed a over the hood septic system with an old smoker in my Sovereign , just awesome a newer 16 IC Briggs couldn't even get in 2 ft. without stalling.

Straight 30 weight Mobil Delvac,the million mile diesel oil .It is not suppose to be used in passenger cars because the zinc content is so high it would melt your catalytic converter in 30 seconds.Your tractor will use no oil and if the rings are gummed after a few oil changes it will free them up.

For what's it's worth, I remember reading literature somewhere, that Delvac and Rotella should'nt be used in engines without roller lifters. Something to do with the scuff agents and how it could wipe out the lifters and cam.

When I worked at a heavy equipment dealer,I picked up some Komatsu 15W-40 oil. I use it in my 712 with a tired Kohler.It burns it less than the straight 30 Pennzoil I use in the rest of 'em.