Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Looking at 712H

Bunky

My Stepdad's Brother has a 712H in his barn that one of the kids ran out of oil and seized the motor.. tractor otherwise is in decent shape... I'm waiting to see if he want to sell it... What might be a fair offer????

Without any attachments and in "decent" shape I'd say in the $125-150 range, maybe a touch more if "decent" means little or no rust etc. With a deck add maybe $75 if it is in good or better shape.

A lot depends on how much you are willing to put in to it for another running engine. New engines are very expensive. Used engines are whatever the market will bear at the time. Rebuildable engines are always a risk. Could be the one on it now is rebuildable?? A 712 is a nice size to do real work with. I would offer to haul it away for nothing for him;) As it sits it is of no use to anyone and to repair it could be real expensive. Dan

I tend to agree with Dan,I wouldn't offer much with the bad motor.I would say no more than $50-75.Without it running you don't really know if the hydro is any good or the spindles in the deck ect.Could cost as much or more than a running one by the time you put it together...But I know....getting them going is really the fun part...

Guys, I'm not sure how you're arriving at these prices. Remember he asked for "fair offer" -- You certainly won't get anything but a rusty hulk in New England at those prices.... The Sundstrand hydro out of that tractor alone, if good, is worth around $200. If it has hydraulic lift, even more. The BGB, if good, is worth $75 or more... the starter/generator, if a Briggs and if good, another $75 or so... etc., etc. A solid 42" deck is worth at least $75 - 100, if a 48" deck make that $125 - $150... IMO, you have to think of its value as if you're parting it out, if you've determined it's too expensive to fix... then adjust that amount down based upon the "unknown condition" of things you can't check out on a non-running tractor.... I paid $200 for a 716H in bad shape but the hydro was "guaranteed to be good"... someone had put a 9HP flywheel start engine in it, temporarily, but it wasn't guaranteed to run... I've sold off $75 worth of stuff, put the hydro and BGB in my HB-216, and still have the 9HP engine that I haven't tried to get running. Bottom line is that I had a good hydro and a BGB, including frame rails and all linkages, for $125...

Well I think i'm gonna See what he tells me first .. He pretty fair with me before... It has a Kohler engine.. Not sure on the lift.. And both appear to be 48's

Last year I bought a running 712H from the son of the original owner. It came with 42"deck,snowblower,and a snowblade. Gave $300.00 for it. Also,my brother just purchased a running 7012 with a 42" deck for $275.00. Without having a running motor,you'll have to take his word that the trans is good.Deals are still out there,I'm thinking no more than $100-150 tops for this one.

Kent I based my price on what a good shape running one here in Michigan would go for.I also based it on some of the info Bunky gave in the post... Without going to look at it is hard to give a fair price...but I consider that it wasn't taken real good care of or it wouldn't have ran out of oil....that tells me that other things might not have been maintained well... And IF the hydro is good it is worth good money,but IF its not then its not really worth anything.Same goes for the bevel box.

You could always ask what he wants for it. He might consider a case of beer and fifty bucks a good offer......

I have to agree with Kent. It's nice to run into the really really good deals (Freebies), but Bunky asked for an opinion of a "fair offer". In this case I'd say that my original price range is well within the realm of a fair offer. I paid $100 for a 712h for the hydro unit only. It also has a good BGB and the seat pan is decent. The rest is going to the scrapyard but I think I got a good deal. Like daddycat said, "Ask him", can't hurt and you may just get one of those really good deals. :D

Bunky, If it helps I paid $1500 for a 7012H with a 48" deck and a 42" snowblower all in working condition. I would like to offer this advice, the person you are buying the tractor off of is part of your family. I would offer a price you are willing to pay that is not too low (don't what to insult your family) and not too high (you want the tractor at a good price). As an example I purchased a boat from my brother-in-law. When we signed the papers, I found the ad the originial seller was using to sell the boat. My brother-in-law did nothing to the boat and made $1100 in profit. It took a few years before the felling of being taken went away. Rick...........

I'm with Kent on this one. A fair offer would be in the $200.to $300. range, considering that the motor is siezed. Since it was the motor that siezed, we can assume that the Hydro and BGB are still operational, as well as the starter, etc. I like to pick up $50. tractors as much as anyone else, but then I pass the bargains (recently sold $75. tiller & $75. 48" deck) on to others in the club. I've been in other clubs, with other hobbies, where the members became so greedy that the fun was gone in no time.

quote:
Originally posted by RickS
Bunky, If it helps I paid $1500 for a 7012H with a 48" deck and a 42" snowblower all in working condition. I purchased this from a dealer, and I think I paid too much. I would like to offer this advice, the person you are buying the tractor off of is part of your family. I would offer a price you are willing to pay that is not too low (don't what to insult your family) and not too high (you want the tractor at a good price). As an example I purchased a boat from my brother-in-law. When we signed the papers, I found the ad the originial seller was using to sell the boat. My brother-in-law did nothing to the boat and made $1100 in profit. It took a few years before the felling of being taken went away. Rick...........

Well Rick I agree I don't want insult hima nd don't want to pay too much... But as far as the boat deal I feel that if you were willing to pay whatever you payed for the Boat then you must of thought you were getting a Deal at the time... It's like me for instance right now I have a 1996 Olds Cutlass Supreme 2 door it has 70,000 mile sand is Clean I bought it For $300.00 It needed a motor I got an engine out of my father inlaws Salvage yard for free.. My sister wants to buy the Car I told her $3000.00 She's willing to pay it even though she knows what I have invested.. If she doesn't buy it I'll put it down front for $4000.00 I look at it as business If she don't want to give me what it's worth then she can go buy another.... LOL

Bunky, The reason for the bad feelings were my brother-in-law only owned the boat for about three weeks and did nothing to it. I will admit the boat is in very good condition for the year; its a 1974 Silverton with a freshly rebuilt Mercury 70 on it. It just upset both my wife and I that he owned it for a short time and did no advertising or work on the boat. In your reply you freely admit that you are offering your sister 3000, but will sell it on the open market for 4000. That is the type of deal I would have prefered from my brother-in-law. In the end you are right. I did feel like I was getting a good deal and what willing to pay the asking price. The boat has given my family many fond memories and you can't put a price on that. Rick.........

Rick, It would have taken a lot more than "few years" for me to get over that. Family must mean something different to him than it does to me.

Geez, i feel stupid. if you guys paid that little for that stuff, then i got the running chasis-blown engine- 7117h with a junk 48" deck for 500. from a simplicity dealer! 400. for the geo crate motor, 250. for parts off geo. 100. for junk geo from salvage yard. total investment...1,250.00(one 7117, 1 deck, 3 engines and misc. parts). still beats price of replacement engine of the orginal.