Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

new acquisition questions

stumpy

Greetings all, Picked up a 3416H with an old-style tiller and 42" deck the other day. Too bad I'm fixing it up for a friend, 'cause the more I look at it the more I like it <G>. No spark when I fetched it, so first things first...completely re-wired and modified things to battery-coil system with new switches today. Plenty hot spark now. Trying to get things up and running before I start asking questions about the vickers hydro. Need to go through the carb, but had a few queries that arose from just spinning things over. The machine is far from new, but it seems to have a lot of compression...and I mean A LOT....compared to the 12 horse on my B-112 anyway. Any comments on that?...as in could anything be the cause of too much compression (doesn't seem like that would be possible <G>). Also...the breather tube is gone (have one on order), and when spinning things over there sure seems to be a lot of "poof" coming out the hole in the cover...more than I'm used to anyway...related to the high compression???...good thing or bad???...what say ye? Thought I heard a knock inside, but not going to get excited about it unless I hear a banging around in there once it's actually running. Aside from that and the usual "tractor that's been sitting for several years" maladies like a frozen cone clutch it's a pretty nifty machine.

If the engine has a compression release, and it's not working, that could account for the seemingly higher compression when cranking. It could also be loaded with carbon.

Dutch, No compression release that I'm aware of (it's an old Briggs cast iron 16 horse). Was going to at least get it to fire up before dealing with the possible carbon build-up you mentioned...I'm sure there's plenty in there...reckon I should just pop the head off and give it a good cleaning. Usually scrape mine on a fairly regular basis. Never had an engine damaged because of carbon accumulation, but then again I'd hate for this to be the first one. Thanks

Bob, maybe the head was shaved (planned) down in its past life to solve a wrapped head. Common with aluminum heads if not torqued correctly. I have a 1974 Baron (3414S) that as far as I know has never been opened up (paint still on head bolts, original owner is not aware of any engine work, but dealer did all work). This engine has 125 psi!! This is better than a freshly overhauled engine. It always slips the starter belt on the compression stroke.

I too would suggest taking of the Head and checking for Carbon... I also don't think there's a Compression release....

Fellas, She was carboned-up pretty good (which is what I figured anyway). The belt was slipping on the comp. stroke like your 3414, Mike. Reckon I'll put the pieces back together, do something about the hapless carb, and see what the heck happens. Thanks

The compression release on a briggs is a small bump on the exhaust lobe of the camshaft. It will work, unless someone files it off like I did. Takes a lot of battery to turn the engine without this easy-spin bump on the cam. I don't recommend doing this removal. Did it years ago to get more low end power for tractor pulling. We pulled till the engine quit and never spun the tires.

Rod, Interesting...I knew about the lobe but never gave it any real thought (I'm not a puller). Doubt anyone did that with this machine, but I suppose it's possible that the lobe has worn down somewhat. While it would be interesting to find out, I'd really prefer not to at this time <BG>. Have enough projects around here without adding another engine tear-down!

There is pulling and then there's pulling.... One's for sport and the other's work. I have had the "hook"(moldboard plow) set so hard(hung up on a rock) that the Putt Putt will spin both tires and lug down almost to the stall point while lifting the front end a foot or two in the air.....

Kirk, "Pulling is pulling". I was pulling a single horse drawn bottom plow (10 inch) with a garden tractor several years ago. Neighbor was running the plow. He sank it too deep. Chains on the tires. Front end came up so fast that all I could do was roll of to the side as the tractor stood up and fell over against the seat back. That taught me why pulling tractors are required to have "wheelie bars".