Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JCS

Starter Location

JCS
New (to me) tractor with 7119 was only cranking like 1/2 revolutions when we bought it. Owner said the battery was just "run down". Had tractor for a couple of months and always need to charge/or/jump battery to get it to start and it very seldom "spins" the whole way over. Finally decided to buy new battery and still have the same problem. I think it is the starter and tried to find it.... I am use to the one-cylinders with the starter on the side.... I followed the cable and it goes in to shroud at the bottom....

PatRarick
I believe it is on the lower left (as you sit on the tractor) of the engine. Haven't had to access the starter on that particular tractor, but on that engine I have replaced a few starters. Some tractors require the engine to be removed and some can be replaced with the engine installed. If I remember correctly, the cylinder shrouding on that side of the engine has to be removed to gain access to the starter. Pat

MikeES
On the 7119 the engine has to be removed to get at the starter. The bendix is finicky on these starters and need to be kept clean and lubricated. As far as spinning at half speed??? If the starter is not spinning fast enough the bendix won't spin out and engage the ring gear. If it does then I would guess that the starter needs work in that it can't handle the load of the engine. My nickels worth.