Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Reccomendations please

Boney

I am new to old tractors and would like to start off on the right foot if possible. What I am asking is what tractor would you reccomend for a new person to old tractors ? Considering ease of getting parts, ease of working on tractor. If possible I would like to get a tractor that I can use hydrolic attachments on. My lawn size is small. Thnx for any suggestions :)

Not sure what you mean about hydraulic attachments... The only Allis/Simplicity that has the capability for hydraulic attachments, to my knowledge, is the PowrMax series (Allis 616/620/720 or Simplicity 4040/4041/9020). That tractor is overkill for a small lawn...

MY TWO CENTS: I agree with Kent- what type of attachments are you talking about? A huge tractor on a small lawn is difficult. But also, a "small lawn" is relative your town (Small in my area is a 50 x 100 lot). My 1966 707 Broadmoor will do most of the chores I want, such as plowing the driveway, blowing snow, towing the cart with topsoil, and cutting the grass. The 32 inch deck gets you around a smaller lawn better also. My 2010 is a little too big for my yard for cutting grass but it's a better workhorse than the Broadmoor is for plowing snow and such. A plus for the Broadmoor: They can usually be had pretty cheap and parts are easy to find. Figure what you need and go from there. Or you could do what I did- get both!:D

Was hoping to maybe add a log splitter to it when needed, but thats ok. I dont want to get an over kill size tractor, the nieghbors already laugh at me dont need to give them another reason lol lol

You can modify a large frame tractor to give it hydroloics. Don't know if you are looking for a hobby or just a lawnmower?? Dan

I am looking for something to cut the lawn with on a weekly bases and also as a hobbie. I do like the look of the foot dragger models { i learned that today :) } but i am not sure if they would be too big for a 1 acre lot.

They're certainly not too big for a 1 acre lot. You may want to stick with a 42" mower deck, though, especially if you have lot of things to trim around, like trees, shrubs, outbuildings, etc. I also think the 42" deck mows a little better on my rough yard than a 48" one does, though it certainly takes a few minutes longer to mow... Here's a list of SOME of the attachments that were available for the old "foot-draggers". Even more things were available, and some of these are VERY rare, so don't count on finding one of them... But, it's good to know that it can/was done, if nothing else... http://simpletractors.com/Main/b_attachments.htm