Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mowed with my first RBT today

Bunky

Well I got to mow with my 7016H today.. It;s like night and day from the old B112... Can't believe I have been without a hydro this long.. It seemed to steer and ride a little better then the B112 and mowed faster to but it has a 48 rather then a 42.... But I still think they are both great tractors....

Wait till you get a AC 720 or 9020 Power Max with a 60" Deck!!!!! Couldn't believe how short of time it takes now compared to the 48" Craftsman.

I have a AC716H and several B10's, one of wich I mow with all of the time. My yard has many trees and I would much rather mow with the B10 because it turns quicker and shorter (besides I like the sound of the Briggs). The hydro makes life better for F/R movements, but I find myself doing less of that because of the shorter turning radius. Both GREAT tractors though.

Mine has a Briggs and yes I agree yours probably does turn sharper.... mine turns about as sharp as the B112 (variable).. The only thing I can see is that my 42in deck goes between the trees and the 48 won't.....

Daryl, I agree that the short wheelbase FDTs handle like a sports car in comparison to the longer hydros, variable speeds or RBTs... They're a lot more fun to drive, though they might not be as comfortable. I have found, though, that a 48" deck on a longer wheelbase tractor will trim almost as close as a 42" deck on the short wheelbase tractors. The extra 3" on each side essentially reduces the turning radius (i.e. the uncut circle of grass is smaller on each side by 3" or 6" in a full circle) -- but, it doesn't do quite as nice a job of mowing my bumpy yard though... the 42" deck is still my favorite for mowing.

I will agree about the tight turning radius on the old foot draggers...I always liked mowing with my Broadmoor 717 and 728 because I never had to go back over with the trim mower..I thought I would have to get the trim mower back out when I started mowing with the 64 Landlord but I was supprised that it does a great job too.

I grew up on a **cough** JD 110. Always thought hydros were weak and for sissies - until I used one. In the past 3 years I've had 10 different Sim. and AC tractors. I sold off every single gear type. I find shifting gears a pain now, even though it never used to bother me at all. Down to just 3 hydro's now. Brent

Funny thing, I parked the HB-116 nose to nose, toes to toes with the 7790 and the wheel base is the same, Wonder why?

The difference in length between the two tractors is in the "nose", in front of the front axle, to handle the different front PTO and later the 2-cylinder engines. Unless I'm mistaken, all the Landlord/Soveriegn class machines after the 2110 or B-110 had a 48" wheelbase. If there's any difference in wheelbase, it's very little. The 716 that donated the hydro to my B-210 was the same length, as far as I could tell.

I guess I have not been around the B112 much. I really love my B10 and will drive it before the 716. I do not miss the hydro in the trees. Like Kent said it is like driving a sports car in and out of the trees. I tried to put the 48" mower on my B10 but the wheelbase is too short and it will not fit. I guess that is why they make all different brands/types. They are all fun to drive and work on.