Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

belt replacement

stormy2163

How often do you folks recommend replacing belts?Just when they are worn?Is there a time factor...for instance like changing the oil in your car..or just by wear and tear.:):D8D?

I change mine when they Break or when they arear to be worn enought that there slipping or cracking...

I replace them when the break, though I often keep a spare on hand. One member reported using his original transmission drive belt on a B-12 for 26 years before he replaced it... Belts wear at different rates, based upon how they're being used (bends, turns, idlers, etc.), and the quality of the original belt. IMO, original equipment Simplicity belts are worth the extra $$ (in some cases they're not really that much more expensive) for the additional life. Others report different results with aftermarket belts than I've personally experienced. I use aftermarket belts, but usually because I've broken one, and can't get an original Simplicity belt as quickly as I need it. Often, the aftermarket belt gets replaced when I can around to it, and then kept to use as a spare... Two places I'll always use a Simplicity belt -- given choices: 1) The starter/generator and hydraulic lift belts on the oldies, because you have to pull the driveshaft to replace them -- and that's a real pain... 2) Snowblowers for the oldies, because they seem to last twice as long as an aftermarket because of the 90-degree turns, two types of idlers, and belt stops that MUST be pretty tight or it won't work correctly.

Robin, One addition to Kent's list of reccomended locations for OEM belts. If you have a machine with an old variable-speed belt drive, that's a good place to install a Simplicity belt. They're a hefty, expensive belt, but the aftermarket replacement isn't much cheaper. Same type of belt that's used on older full-sized combines. While it's not tough to remove/replace, the aftermarket versions usually have much higher failure rates.

I just spent $140 today for new Simplicity belts. Here's what I got for the money: two center PTO belts(BGB to PTO), one Simplicity Model 700 drive belt(BGB to trany), two PTO to mower deck belts(44" and 45"), one 42" mower deck belt(drives blades). BTW, my local dealer said the B-112 only listed a 48" deck even though I have a 42" on it....

Thanks for all the info and I can see why you most definately wouldn't change them if they are not worn and slipping.But then again that dosen't seem to bad daddycat..appears you got alot for your money.I would imagine it would be like kent said a real pain to replace some of these belts so you most definatly want to use a quality product.This particular tractor sit in the previous owners barn all last winter and all the belts seem to be in good shape..might just be a good idea to have new ones on hand..just in case...when we finally get to use it.I got to find a finishing mower for this tractor .As far as if this particular tractor has a variable speed belt drive...I am totally in the dark...I'm down on the bottom here trying to learn as much as I can in what it has and dosen't have and what it all means.It can be seen in my profile if anyone wants to enlighten me(like I said I can use all the info I can get).I have been using my Husky(I know I know everyone is saying oh no not a Husky)haha.I have a 3.5 acre yard and that is just to much work on me and it so therefor looking foward to using my simple tractor to get the job done.I want to keep it well maintained once it's up and going.thanks for all the info folks it's greatly appreciated.

Kirk Time to educate your dealer tell him to look at the belt and blade book 42" and 48" listed for the B-112 Landlord, Sovereign, Baron & B Series Model Year 1967-68 Attachments Code Mfg. No. Product Description Belt Function Belt No. Blade No. Qty Note S 990502 48" Rotary Mower Cross Drive 108458 1656143 3 Arbor Drive 165048 S 990544 42" Rotary Mower Cross Drive 108248 1656144 3 Arbor Drive 1719819 A 2025033 42" Rotary Mower Cross Drive 108248 1656144 3 Arbor Drive 1719819 A 2025080 42" Rotary Mower Cross Drive 174911 1656144 3 Arbor Drive 1719819 A 2025097 48" Rotary Mower Cross Drive 108458 1656143 3

Robin, Those pictures in your profile are downright "dangerous" -- a fine-looking single blond lady with a much-sought after Simplicity PowrMax... You're likely to be getting marriage proposals from all over the country now... :D Here's more info on the tractor (or at least a similar one): http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1978/19_5_hp.htm Your tractor doesn't have a variable speed belt. It is a hydrostatic transmission, with three speed ranges. The tractor is essentially the same as an Allis-Chalmers 616, 620 or 720, a Simplicity 4040/4041, or a Montgomery Wards Twin 20, so all those attachments will interchange with yours -- though they may be a different color. Sadly, the only mower deck for it listed in the classifieds is in Washington state and he won't ship it...

I think I will print out this post and take it with me next time I'm down there. I told him(younger guy at parts counter) to look up the 2012 which I'm pretty sure is the Simplicity equivalent to the B-112.... Sure enough, there was the 42" deck!!! BTW, it takes only a couple minutes to change the PTO belt(have to loosen belt guard around BGB pulley, takes two 9/16" wrenches), about 30 sec to change PTO to deck belt(flip tensioning lever, change belt, flip lever back), deck belt... well that one is a bit longer but I've never had to yet(knock wood)!!

Kirk, Uh... the 3012 is the equivalent of a B-112... The 2012 is the same as a B-12, i.e. a short wheelbase 3-speed tractor with a round hood... the 48" decks won't fit underneath them.

Kent I seen that ad to bad it is so far away.Thanks for the link that does look like my tractor.I just wonder what a new mower would cost.Does Simpicity have one to fit or do you have to stick with a used older one?I bet a new cost more than I give for the tractor.Am I right?As for the pictures...no marriage proposals..and If I got one it would be because of the tractor.haha.The ex bought it for me to maintain my yard...he took the younger model...I got the better deal.Haha better get off that subject that is not meant for here don't guess.I need to go back and look at that link again.Thanks for all the info.Thanks UCD.Thanks everybody.

Kent, you are right as usual.... I must have been thinking back to the discussion about the correct front tires for the 2012 and someone had said their B-112 had the same ones.... Guess I've been spending too much time with the rocks and I'm becoming one too......LOL

Robin, I don't know if new PowrMax decks are still available or not... If so, I'm pretty sure it would be $1000 or more. There's lots of PowrMax owners on here that know a WHOLE lot more about them than I do... Kirk, Don't feel bad. It wasn't all that long ago that I thought a 48" deck would fit a 12HP short wheelbase tractor -- until Rob convinced me otherwise. That's how I ended up with an orange 48" deck.... :D

I have an extra mower deck for a Sunstar with angle drive and drive shaft, 48". I will admit it needs some paint and couple of deck rollers. All of the metal is solid and I would like to get $150.00 for it. The Sunstar is a later version of the Powermax and I don't know if it would bolt right in.

The Pow'r Max was a larger tractor than the SunStar. I do not believe that The attachments will fit from a Sunstar to a Pow'r Max. The pow'r Max were belt drive and the SunStar are shaft drive. The rear P.T,O. on the Powermax are shaft drive @ 2000 R.P.M. Internal spline connection on tractor side.

Thanks for the offer BLT.Even if it did work you are probally to far away for me to come get it.If UCD says it want fit then it want fit..he is so smart he knows his stuff.

I am not that smart. I know everything about nothing and nothing about everything. I have been wrong before plenty of times. But when you have read every post on here in the last 2 years and read everything in simpleTractors you do learn a few things. One thing you do learn here is that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

just blush and take the compliment..and vey true there are more ways than one to skin a cat.