Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Carb hook up

thedaddycat

I got a PM asking about how to hook up the carb on a 2012. Since mine is apart I figured I'd post pics of how the carb on the B-112 is hooked up(both are Briggs engines). I know there are line drawings that have been posted in the past, but I couldn't find them right off so the pics are faster to post than the search..... This engine is marked as a Model 300421 Type 012701 Code 6811041, however the numbers are engraved with a vibrating engraver and scraping the paint shows other stamped numbers under the paint that look to have been at least partially ground off. My guess is that the shroud is a transplant from another engine.

Here's a pic of the left side of the engine. Note that this engine has the short intake manifold. More detailed shots follow...

This shows the throttle cable running down past the muffler. Behind it you can see the top end of the linkage that has the stop nut on it.

Since everything's painted black, I put slips of paper behind the linkage and governor arm for a white background. At the top of the pic you can see where the throttle cable fits into the hole in the linkage shown above(with the stop nuts). The bottom of that linkage and the top of the springs attach to the pivot arm. The governor arm is at the bottom.

Here's another view of the springs. The short one attaches to the #1(left) hole and the long one to the #5(right) hole in the governor arm. The linkage to the carb goes on the very right hand end of the governor arm. I hope this helps you get yours set up right....

Kirk, You're such a nice guy... Ya know, you could've just referred them to the 12HP Owner's Manual at: http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/b_%26_s_300401.htm It shows both governor and throttle linkage. BTW, the 10HP, Model 243431, Owner's Manual is at: http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/b_%26_s_243431.htm They're virtually the same...

I don't have any of that linkage on the engine for my AC712S, so I am building my own of a different design. I'll post pictures when I get it finished.

OK, first off thanks to Kirk for keeping me anonymous, but I admit it. It was me! Yes, the one that's small engine challenged or with terrible memory, either way it's a little embarassing. The problem I had was that I had bought a replacement throttle link and it is not the correct one, although it is the one shown in the Briggs Part List for my engine. The other problem is that in the link that Kent referred to, it doesn't really show the throttle link (straight or bent) or where the throttle cable connects to. Lucky for me Kirk and Ray (RayS) came through with pictures to show the set up. If I ever see you two at a swap meet or whatever, lunch is on me. Thanks again, MadMike

Uh... What am I missing? This picture is in both manuals... as is the picture of the the governor controls, springs, etc... [img]http://simpletractors.com/images/300401/fig_5.jpg[/img]

Well thank-you very much, Now not only am I small engine challenged and suffering from bad memory, I also apparently have lost the ability to read or I need glasses. Good thing I'm not a horse or I may be the glue holding together next years Simplicity Manual, if I was lucky that is. I have no explanation for my actions, MadMike (Arggghhhhhhh!!!)

Hey Kirk, How about fixing/replacing that "West Virginia" welch plug on the carb the right way!! (LOL). It should only cost you about $0.25 or so for the part from B&S. Tom(PK)

Sometimes having a picture is better than te drawings... at least for me. Thanks Kirk, It will help with engine reassembly.

Hey Tom, Watch the "West Virginia" comments. I've been to Welch, West Virginia. Grew up near Charleston. Maybe that "is" why I look at things differently than most others. "Hmmmmmmmm"? I also noticed in a recent posting of carburator pictures, that someone was using a rubber expansion plug in the same manner as Kirk's duct tape.

Rod, Sorry about the reference, it's difficult some times to see the subtle differences in these "mods". Now that you mention it, it looks more like a "Carolina Welch Plug".(LOL) Tom(PK)