Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cone clutch 2

sandy15445

you guys have been great at answering my previous posts about my "new" 7117H. Here is another.... When I engage the pto for the 48 inch mower deck, the pulley moves towards the cone there is a faint wisp of blue smoke at the end of the pulley travel, but the pulley will not spin and the mower belt won't turn.

Mine did something similar. There was a bicycle handbrake cable tied up in the mower. My son had left it in the yard after he installed a new one. Remove the belt and make sure the mower is turning before you tear apart the clutch like I did.

I agree with Rod on checking the deck to make sure it spins freely first... those cone cluthes aren't that complicated, but they're spring loaded, so be careful and follow the procedures in the service manual if you tear it apart...

Kent and Rod, Any rough guess on $$$ for the usual replacables in a cone clutch? I've never had one, but this 3416 I'm working over for a buddy has one and it's a bit frozen. Probably gonna just rebuild it when I jerk it apart, so it's functional once and for all and I don't get a call requesting I make a 150 mile drive to mess with it.

quote:
Originally posted by stumpy
Any rough guess on $$$ for the usual replacables in a cone clutch? I've never had one, but this 3416 I'm working over for a buddy has one and it's a bit frozen. Probably gonna just rebuild it when I jerk it apart, so it's functional once and for all and I don't get a call requesting I make a 150 mile drive to mess with it.
The clutch plate (w/lining) is approximately $60. If you want to do the job right, check if the PTO has bearings or busshings. The 3400 series had bushings as OEM, but they were replaced with a #1685001 bearing and spring kit. The kit will update the PTO just to be just like the 7100 series. The #1685001 kit is about $55. I have a brand new kit in stock that I'll sell for $30.

Dutch, Thanks much. Once I yard the thing off I'll let you know. It's about number 3 on the list right now...first spark, then gas, then drive it around and see what else is bust, then the cone clutch. At least it has spark now <G>. Upgrading to bearings sounds like a capital idea. Thanks again