Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Prices/What's it worth Observation

Brent_Baumer

When I first joined the club when it was on Yahoo, and then the early stages of it's own forum there were few classifieds and prices were fairly low. As-in a few tractors for $500 or less, most attachments under $200. This didn't last long. Membership grew rapidly. Tillers, mower decks and snowthrowers went up fast. Everything over $200. Snowthrowers over $300. Tractors all over $500, many much more than that but the classifieds remained fairly sparse, at least in comparison to what is on there now. I remember Kent stating some members accused the site of increasing prices. Looks like prices have been coming down again over the past year. Decks can easily be had for under $200, tillers and snowthrower under or around that regularly. Tons of parts and tractors at good prices. Am I imagining this or is it really happening? I know I really overpaid for my first tractor, and have since wised up because of this site, enabling me to buy fixer-uppers that I wouldn't have considered before. Could this be the case for others? And the cause? Because of this knowledge, I will likely never buy a $1000 machine, let alone a $6 or $7000 new one. Just wondering. Brent

Glad to hear that you think so... I've heard too many people complain that we've driven up the prices with this increased visibility and appreciation for the oldies...

Kent, I was in the process of editing when you posted (about to be kicked offline so I had to post and then edit). See the rest of my post. Brent

I dont think the prices here on the classifieds are for the most part to high,but there are a few that think are on the high side.The one's that I notice that are on the high side are not local to me and that might just be the price that the stuff goes for in that area... I do belive that most stuff on Ebay goes out of price range though...at least by the time you pay the shipping(if its parts anyway).

I am grateful for this site. It is like a voice in the wilderness. Until I stumbled across this site I thought I must have been the only person left that still used this equipment. It is my opinion that nothing sold today, at any price equals the quality of cut of a Simplicity tractor/mower... and, once you get past the size, they ARE tractors. I got my first few free - hacked them out of brush piles, none are "restored", but all are fully functional. The only "Simple tractor" I ever paid for is Brents club auction tractor...now used as the the primary mower of my 4 acre lawn. (it does a great job) My two youngest children are FDIT's (foot draggers in training) No, I'll not complain at all if prices go up... I would rather see that they do rather than have fine machinery wind up in a junk pile. Nick

I dont know what prices used to be having only been here a couple months. I agree Ebay goes nuts sometimes. I dont look for this site to drive prices up for me. I beleive in a fair deal for a fair price. I have seen some prices on here that I would be ashamed to ask for but I too would rather see the stuff sold than junked. I know this post wasnt directed at me either, I just wanted to express my opinion on the subject. There are several members here I think would vouch for what I sell as being worth the price I ask. Regardless of the going rate, I cant see asking much over 100 for a used deck or snowthrower. Besides the shipping I try to consider that the customer will still have some work to do with the items I sell them as they are not new parts. Others may see my prices and not bother with me thinking "if thats all he wants for it, it must be junk". Thats okay too. The ones who have bought from me I think will be back because they know where the deal is. Can someone asking 300 for a deck or snowthrower say that?

So far the items I bought on this site have been reasonable, can't complain at all. There isn't much to buy localy {N.C.} I guess there just aren't that many around. I agree the shipping from Ebay can kill the whole deal. For a whole tractor you can pick it up cheaper. two cents

As a newbie to both this board and to old tractors, this is what i have learned so far. I have come across maybe 8 boards with only 2 { this is one of them} having members that are not bashers and truley enjoy the tractors along with being nice people. This is the only OLD tractor forum that I enjoy. I hope to someday own a Simplicity but am worried that parts for it will be difficult to find, but my search continues. Even if i went with another brand i would still be here,,,,,unless i was kicked out lol lol j/k

A sickle bar mower, two 48 inch mower decks, and enough parts to completely assemble an AC 712S, all for less than $100, from people that I met on this site. I think prices are very reasonable. Just shop around and ignore the high priced stuff.

Well I think some things are High and somethings are about right.. But the other thing is that the area your in makes a lot of difference.. When I put on a $200 dollar Tractor I get all kinds of people wanting if from all over, saying it's a great deal for there area ... But around here they seem to be a little more plentiful or not as many people want them because I don't get much replies from my area....

It’s like everything else supply & demand and how bad you want an item. Some things are bargains or average price and then along comes something you really must have and bite the bullet and pay too much for it. There are items out there if a person has patience and keeps searching or post a wanted ad in the classifieds. Shipping is a big item now days. Seems like the more we have to pay for shipping more things are getting damaged or lost and insurance is just about a must now days. I also think we could get the pony express working with all the members to this club. Everybody here is a friendly group and the moderators do a good job of trying to keep it that way and I thank them for that. The information here is very valuable and free. As things progress for the site I do believe we should have to pay some kind of annual dues to belong to the club and have access to all the information on the site and have just enough information for the lookers only to get them interested and join the club as a paying member. All the other clubs I know of you either have to volunteer lots of time or pay dues to belong. It would be great if there was a price guide for the tractors and attachments but what a job that would be for someone. I’m fairly new here and don’t know enough about the equipment to offer any advice yet but when I do I’ll be all smiles to help somebody out! If I have something for sale I don’t plan on gouging anybody but just ask a fair price. If it is on auction it is up to the buyer how much they want to pay. Good subject Brent! I know this got a little long but it goes with the post and a few more thoughts in one post. Up here in MN these tractors & equipment are very scarce and hard to find so I’ve been traveling to pick up my toys. I ordered parts yesterday for my mower deck from one of the sponsors that help support this site instead of my normal supplier. Also put a note on my fax that is the reason I ordered through them to let them know that their advertising is working. My $5.00 worth???????? Sorry for such a long post

Folks, it is always what the market will bear. If it is priced to high no one will buy it and the price goes down. Priced to low, everyone wants it and the price goes up. Exposure has little to do with it other than allowing the market to work. What makes a "good deal" is when both the seller and the buyer are happy. I think I paid a little high for my 79 AC712S but I am so happy with it that I think I made a "good deal" anyway. I will never pay in the thousands of dollars for a "new" tractor when these vintage ones work so well. My father always said "a fool and his money are soon parted" Go on and buy a new $3000 to $7000 tractor and I will buy your trade in.:D All submitted IMHO. Dan

I would have to agree with Wayne..I'm new here as well..to me everybody appears to be asking about the same price for all their goodies.I got a gas tank on the way I purchased from a member..for the cost of shipping only.Now to me that was a great gesture.I think we should all be here to help one another out and ..thats what I love about this club everybody helps one another.I guess that goes back to that old saying...You scrath my back I will scrath yours.After all we all have something in common here. just a last note..I would pay a fee to remain a part of this club. Robin

I've noticed some high prices being asked for attachments and I'm guessing that those folks will have those items for a while. With snow throwers, decks and tillers all selling on ebay for $50. to $200., there's no reason for anyone to go crazy and spend $300. or even more for the same items. This site is the most informative and helpful one I've ever visited. I'm proud to be a member and have met a few really nice people through the club.

I think this club is great . Was told about the site by the local simplicity dealer 224 Auto Findlay and by Weaver's in Sheby Ohio one of your listed vendors. I signed up for a friend with out a computer to find parts for a AC 410 tractor that wasn't even made by Simplicity. Within a few days a deal was struck with Rod for parts needed. Less than $60 dollars covered cost of parts and shipping. Another member John is sending a shift knob free no cost to me. Not even shipping. We are only maybe 1 hour away from mowing or showing that tough old tractor. And you all seem to enjoy the old photo I dug from my album. That reminded me how much fun it was to be the shop brat at the dealership. This site is a fun place for me to come when I get on the computer at home for fun. I check my E-mail then right to the club. What will I find here next ? Who knows. So far all have been fair or more than fair in price and making me feel welcome.

As what my grandfather had always said "An item is only worth what you want to pay for it," so if you want to pay $300.00 for a mower deck it's your choice. Please read my topic in the "coffee shop [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18313[/url] section titled, "This is by far the most friendliest tractor boards" It will explain why I like this board the best, You guys convinced me to take on my B-110 restoration, Who knows, I might be collecting more! I don't think my mother minds, she probably figures it gives me something to do.I appreciate everyone here who has been patient with all my questions, even the ones you may think to yourself, "I am surprised he doesn't know that or this, that is so easy" let me tell you why, My father died in 1999, and my parents divorced when I was 9, so He had no time to teach me anything, also a lot was my fault, I didn't want to learn. Now that I am 20, I do want to learn, I tried the local community college which used to have a small engine course. I called them only for them to tell me, "Sorry those classes were discontinued" I Had someone else teach me a little bit of everything, except for mechanics, & HVAC which he didn't know. He unexpectedly passed away last April of diabetes, so now I am still getting used to, him being gone along with my father. Sorry for my ramblings but I just had to get it out.

Dan H. has a point about, 'what the market will bear.' Presently, that applies to the economy. It's a bear, driving prices down. A

I think most of it has to do with the economy. 3 & 4 years ago it seamed like guys were buying up every option for older tractors that they could find. they didn't care how much it cost as long as they had it. I'd put a creeper gear from a cub cadet on the net for $250, it was gone in a few hours. today If I did that I would not get one single reply to it. I think with the current state of the economy people are being a bit more cautous of there spending. theres also more individuals dealing in parts on the net also which also helps keep pricing more competitive. I have noticed more of a trend towards just keeping the old mower going than I have full restorations with all the toys & options on it.