Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-112 Differential Search

LeoB

Ok, now that I've decided to try to find a new differential and hub assembly, can you give some help as to what models used the same stuff as my B-112. I'm thinking that 3012,3112, 3212, 3210 maybe 2012, 2110, 2210 will probably be likely candidates. I'm sure there must be others, I checked though some of the lists on the site, but am probably missing the information needed. I saw on the classifieds that an 816 is getting parted out. I suspect that may a bit too new, but I just don't know. I may have a handle on an old simplicity, sitting in a barn not running. The lady also has an old landlord that belonged to her father. Last time I talked to her, she was planning on spray painting it and putting it in her front yard as a sort lawn ornament in memory of her dad. I tried to tell her that it would a better memorial to give it to me to get running again, then it'd be a living memorial to her ol man's good taste in yard equipment. She was buying it then, it's 2 years later... maybe the times right. Anyway, I appreciate any advice as always and of course if any of you have a spare differential and hub that your looking to get rid of for some hard cash... just let me know. Leo

Leo, I have a well used differential off a bad tranny out of a 2012, and I'm located in North Brookfield -- less than 30 miles away... But I don't know firsthand if that's the same differential or not... I've never had a need to tear into one -- knock on wood!

Kent, It is the same diff if it has the two lock down screws. The late model units use spring loaded spiders and do not have lock down screws. All are interchangeable if you have the axle to match the diff. Just replaced an old style with the newer type this evening.

This one had setscrews in the right hub... Is that what you're talking about? If not, I'll need to go look closer.

There you go Leo maybe Kent wont need to haul one home for you ,its already there.

Kent, That sounds great, do you have the hub as well? I can maybe stop by sometime this sunday to pick up the parts, just let me know what you need to get. If you don't have the hub, I'll still take the differential and continue the hunt for that last part. I'm with you, I hope I don't have to get into one these again. I will keep the remaining gears and stuff from my busted differential, just in case. I'm really thinking that picking up a parts tractor is going to have to be the next step. I've got a feeling though that that's how these things start reproducing. You buy one for a parts tractor, then find it can be gotten up and running and so need another parts tractor for both good tractors and so on and so on and so on until the wife puts the brakes on. Thanks, Leo

Kent, The one I had, actually had two wheel lug bolts in it. The two screws in the right hub are the older style. The newer style stucks through the wheel about 1 1/2 inches farther, but doesn't have these screws. Newer ones use a longer axle, and have the left wheel flange welded on. They must be disassembled for removal.

Leo, I have the whole tranny... 1st and 3rd gears are gone in it, so I replaced it with another used one. It operated just fine with 2nd and reverse, so I don't think there's a problem with the axles, axle housings, hubs, differerential, etc. But, I haven't taken it apart to inspect anything... I'll send you a PM to discuss further....

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Kent, The one I had, actually had two wheel lug bolts in it. The two screws in the right hub are the older style. The newer style stucks through the wheel about 1 1/2 inches farther, but doesn't have these screws. Newer ones use a longer axle, and have the left wheel flange welded on. They must be disassembled for removal.
So that's what those two wheel lug bolts are for! I learn something new everyday. I thought they were just extras, for when you lost a lug bolt for the wheels on either side. Well, I know I am missing one bolt. I just found out about a local Nut & Bolt place, they are not in the yellow pages for some reason, only in the white pages under their name. I guess i'll be heading over there, for the differential bolt, and since I need bolts to put the B-110 back together again.

Some of the newer tractors with the new style right hub may have the left hub welded on, but my 3310 V has the new style right hub and a keyed(and removable) left hub, as does the 3310 H I picked up. Maybe it's another one of those "transition model" things like the belt drive center PTO and counterbalanced front and rear lifts that changed with the introduction of the 3400 Series?