Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Short belt life

HubbardRA

Mowed a couple of times with my AC716H and shredded a mower belt. Installed a new one, and shredded it in first mowing. Noticed that someone on this forum said the belt length was 71 inches. Mine were 69 inches. Replaced the backside idler with a larger one and installed the 71 inch belt. Mowed the grass with no problem. Belt still looks new. Guess the small idler was over-flexing the belts and making the de-laminate.

I think they are 71.something". When using "generic" belts I use at 72" belt. I have tried a 71" before and could barely get the thing on and it shredded right away. I've noticed alot of OEM belts are not whole numbers in length. Usually like 71.8 or 147.5 or 78.1. Brent

As UCD has pointed out many times, Simplicity OEM belts are made for the application, made to run with twists and back side idlers, and usually outlast other belts by a wide margin. That is why when belts fail I will get OEM replacements. I see no reason to replace a functioning belt, but have started getting OEM spares as back up belts for the day when they are needed. Other causes of belt failure can include pulley misalignment or pulley damage, improper size being used, or improper tension adjustment to name a few...

Yeah, but a different brand name will not cure a real mechanical problem. I changed that idler so that I could use a 69 inch belt that I had in the garage. I guess I learned from my mistake.

I think the original belt was 71.6 inches I used a 71 on my 7016H but I too noticed it getting chewed up I might have to change to a 72 or check the idler....