Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ambler

Kohler KT Series

ambler
I've been shopping 7100 series tractors. How much reservation should I have if its a Series I KT? I looked in the engine reference and it appears that Simplicity didn't start putting in the Series II until 1984. How did the Series I blow? I'm looking at a 7119, I just got the Kohler engine numbers to check the tractor. The 7119 has 360 hours and looks clean.

a7117puller
kt series 1 spec. no. 49199 and below are pressurized spray lubrication(poor oiling system). Got to almost baby these engines and use the correct oil...sae 30 small engine oil. kt series 2 spec. no. 49200 and up are full pressure lubrication(better system), again use sae 30 small engine oil. These engines are no longer manufactured by kohler, but some parts are available. Might find a new engine somewhere if your lucky. Also look at the command series as a replacement(same basic design). 7117 tractor, kt17s engine model, replacement spec. PA 24343, short block 52.522.97, replaces spec. 24131, 24151. 7119 tractor, kt19s engine model, replacement spec. PA 49225, short block 52.522.84, replaces spec. 49125, 49130, 49205.

ambler
Thank's for the specifics. I always use 30 weight HD oil, penzoil or castrol. Is there a series II short block replacement? My concern on the 7119 with the low hours is to pay $1500 and have it blow. I've heard some of the problems were from mowing on a slope. Are you saying that it will perform but be careful of the oil level? What should I look for when I test it. knocking sounds?

ambler
Sandy, Kohler says that KT17 Series II are 24300 and higher. I went through the engine cross reference to Simplicity models and Simplicity didn't start putting in the Series II until 1984 in the 7117 and 7119. I just called the people on the 7119 that I am thinking about buying and they told me it has a kohler Magnum M20. Anyone have good things to say about the Magnum?

ambler
Sandy, Kohler says that KT17 Series II are 24300 and higher. I went through the engine cross reference to Simplicity models and Simplicity didn't start putting in the Series II until 1984 in the 7117 and 7119. I just called the people on the 7119 that I am thinking about buying and they told me it has a kohler Magnum M20. Anyone have good things to say about the Magnum?

HTews
Here's some more food for thought. I just rebuilt a Series II KT 19. The total cost for the rebuild not counting the labor was $900. This included boring .010over, grinding crank .010 under, valve job,two new exhaust valves, all new rotaors and keepers, and springs for the valves, gaskets, points& condensor, pistons & rings, rods,and some other misc. parts. This was for a 7119 simplicity.