Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

b18

rokon2813

Anyone have any thoughts on stuffing an 18 hp twin vanguard in a b10 or a landlord? will the bgb and driveshaft take it? just thinking I need a new toy and the engine is just sitting there....

As long as the bgb is in good shape, it should handle it with no problem. Have installed the Vanguard in a few different tractors, the oldest being a B-210. Have been playing with the idea of installing an 18 hp Vanguard and a Sundstrand hydro in a late B-10. Pat

Sounds like a cool project8D you shouldn't have any trouble with the bgb if it is in good shape to start with. It might be a good idea to put new bearings ans seals in the bgb when you put the engine in...

Failures of the drivetrain are more related to driving style and overall abuse, than horsepower. Wide open throttle and sidestepping the clutch will break nearly anything. Been tractor pulling with Simplicities for 15 years, with as much as 20 Hp and never broken anything more than a hub or an axle key. Just be as the song says "a Smooth Operator" and you will not have any major problems that wouldn't have occurred with the smaller engine.

Be aware, though, that if you convert to a Vanguard twin that you've essentially lost your front PTO. Others have reported problems with the crankshaft bearings not being able to support the "sideloads" like the old cast-iron engines. Trying to do so will cause engine failure. You could likely rig a Lovejoy coupling or something like that and make one work... If running something like a snowblower or weedcutter isn't a concern, then go for it!

right now the engine is on Ebay but if I end up stuck with it I have a good electric clutch I was considering for the front pto. If i sell the motor then I will probly sell the clutch...If it ends up as an experiment I'll let everybody know

Dan, It wasn't just how you used a front PTO, it related to how you have to implement some workaround. The crankshaft isn't long enough to still through the grille to use one. If you use a special pulley, you may put too much load on the flywheel-side crankshaft bearing, causing engine failure. Bottom line, a front PTO for a twin in a B-series is problematic. It would be much easier with a 3300/3400/700/7100 series with the longer nose, where the front PTO drive belt runs behind the grille, not in front. Here's the specific discussion: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=8959&SearchTerms=vanguard Try searching the archives for the term "Vanguard" -- there's lots of good info and interesting reading there. Some of these conversions have been very successful, some not...

I understand the concern now Kent. The only front pto attachment I have is a snow blower and that can go on the landlord. I was only considering the electric clutch "just in case". Also the clutch must be stabilized to keep it from turning so if I do that in the opposite direction of the belt pull it should alleviate some of the stress maybe. Also the output shaft on this vanguard from basic measurements appears to be long enough to go through the grill. the b10 has 4 inches of shaft and the pulley only uses the outer 1 1/2 inches while the vanguard has 3 inches of shaft so till its actually setting in place at this point it looks do able. If not I will just go without the front pto. The advantages of having more that one I guess...

Dan, I have plans to do just that (I have a 16 hp vanguard) on my '64 landlord. I just can't seem to find the time to get started on it. If you get started on this project before I do, would you please keep me posted? I would be just be using it for pulling, so I'm not real concerned with the front pto. Good luck, and like I said, PLEASE, keep me posted. Thank you, Thank you! Jeff

Pullcrazy: Ebay hasnt been good to me so I figured I would be stuck with it. Apparently not so I wont be doing the project after all. The engine is already at $355 and one interested party asked if I would take an "old" sovereign as partial trade so...