Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Front tire removal

Nick

Anyone here can help me in getting off the front tires off my B-110? I can't even manage to pry the dust caps off.?

most of the tractors I've seen dont have the dust caps. When i found one that did I thought they were cool till i tried to get one off. after an hour or so of being nice (i tried everything and used to be a mechanic) i finally beat them off with aa hammer and threw them away. If you want to save them, lots of patience try tapping sideways with a small hammer or plastic mallet while prying. Keep changing positions all the way around and eventually they will loosen. After that loosen the set screw in the collar and slide it off.

I have a tool that was made just for taking dust caps off. If I remember I got it at one of the local parts stores years ago. It has two jaws that are about 1/2 inch wide and go around the backside of the cap and get inbetween the hub and the ridge on the cap. You just squeeze the handles to get the jaws in place and then twist sideways on the handles and the cap comes right off.

I use a pry bar and a block of wood. The pry bar is one that's a foot long or so with a long taper along the long side and a very short curved end. Place the block on the wheel and hook the short end of the "L" under the ridge of the cap. They usually just pop right off for me....

The pliers that mike have are handy and seem to work good... otherwise I have tried both of the other ways listed above, never had then stick so tight I couldn't get them off without ruining them they must of been on there a while....

I have had to use channel locks or large vice grips on the sides of the caps several times. Didn't ruin the caps, but it put some major flats on them. You think you have problems with caps. I had a front wheel bearing stick on the spindle. Had to remove the entire spindle and wheel assembly, then support the wheel, and with a large drift and a deadblow hammer I drove the spindle out of the bearing. Good thing was that I didn't have any trouble getting the caps off.

I have good luck using a regular claw hammer. The claws will catch the raised edge of the cap, near the hub, while the curved head will fit down inside the wheel. Pry it out a little at a time, going back and forth, from side to side -- then go find it when it finally pops off and gets lost rolling on the floor is my messy old garage/barn... :D

I made a tool. Took a welding "chipping hammer" and cut off one bit about 1/2 inch from handle intersection. Left the other end on it that had the shape of a chisel. It actually ends up a "chisel with a handle". Use it with the hammer of your choice and "chase" it all the way around cap between the cap rim stop and the wheel bearing casting and you've got it made!!

Well, I got both of them off! I put all purpose oil around the caps, let it sit for 5 hours, tapped it with the hammer. I couldn't find the prybar so I took the hammer and was able to pry both them off no problem. The right side was a little tufter as that was the wheel that was frozen solid when I got it. I am still waiting for the set screw that holds that drive shaft thing to the BGB, I am gonna let that sit for a few days tapping it and then trying to loosen it.

I have completely taken off the left wheel. Was the bearings supposed to have stayed attached to the rim? Mine didn't The rear bearing was still stuck on the shaft. A little oil, hammer, ad screw driver slid it of the shaft. I tried to get the right wheel off, but only managed to slide it 3/4 of an inch off. I am letting that one sit in oil for a day, and hopefully I'll get it off tomorrow.

the bearing is supposed to come apart from the wheel. the older models had tapered roller bearings.