Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Found a tractor...

pacodiablo

It isn't what I was looking for, but it looks like the best I can get at this point. I found an MTD for $250...it runs, but it has a minor oil leak. It seems like every Bolens/Simplicity/MF/AC around here is either $600 + or too far away for me to get. I will go to pick up the tractor tomorrow and get to work on the oil leak ASAP. I am definately not giving up on my search for a Bolens/Simplicity/MF/AC though...I am definately keeping my eyes open...

Patience is a virtue! Sit back and wait for that special tractor to appear. I guarantee if you buy the MTD, a good deal will present itself, a short time later, and you will be tapped out. I have not paid more than $300 ea for my 1256, 1250, both B10's, B207, and wheelhorse. Most came with attachments. And, this is in an area where there are mostly craftsman, mtd, poulan, etc. Put an ad in a local paper, "Wanted old garden tractors and attachments, running or not." You'll be surprised at what you get calls on. Good luck.

Where I am from the tractors I want are nearly non-existant. I am going to buy the MTD as something to mess around with for a while, but I am going to keep my eyes open. If something good comes around, I will buy it.

I agree Everytime I'm looking for something I want i can't find it... But as soon as I buy something then I find all kind of deals or exactly what I was looking for before....

A friend of mine just picked up a pristine 3416 at auction for $80. I offered him a cool $100, but he wouldn't bite. He's got a great stable full of old Simps and a couple of Homelites, so it'll fit right in...The right place at the right time...lol...

All this talk got me wondering if I gave to much for mine.hummmmmmm Every dollar spent has been well worth the challenge and given me something to do...So yeah it was worth it. Stormy

Did you try some dealers bone yards or repair shops. I got a Simp for $50 at a repair shop bad motor.

Stormy, A PowrMax it totally a "horse of a different color". A nice one, in both looks and condition can go for THOUSANDS of dollars, not hundreds like the smaller tractors. For a PowerMax to go for under a $1000 it would likely be missing a whole lot of pieces, or be in pretty sad shape...

Dang right hold out if you can...I took a 60 dollar yoeman off of ebay last fall and have been mowing grass all spring with that little work horse, besides, ITS COOL!!!!!! And when your on a vintage unit, you become cool, and when your that cool, your just to cool for words, and way to cool to be on an MTD.......

quote:
Originally posted by DougM
Dang right hold out if you can...I took a 60 dollar yoeman off of ebay last fall and have been mowing grass all spring with that little work horse, besides, ITS COOL!!!!!! And when your on a vintage unit, you become cool, and when your that cool, your just to cool for words, and way to cool to be on an MTD.......
Doug is right on all acounts here, your way too cool to be on an MTD,8D JUst hang on and something will come along....^

I am not giving up my search by any means...the MTD is a beater tractor really, just something to have around until something better shows up...

Could this be your deal? I do not know how close you are to Advance NC, but here is a fix-er-upper for $35.00 http://www.bargaintraderonline.com/addetail.html?49687566

$250 is to much for an MTD in any shape unless it is new then I would have to think twice. It is one thing to buy A MTD the next is to Sell it. You are a lot better off waitnng to get what you realy want.

This is literally the cheapest thing around. My eyes are open though... Got it home and took off the deck (no need for it now) and it seems to be in alright shape. It needs a new battery and the oil leak needs to be repaired, but everything else seems to be cosmetic. It ran great when it was jumped.

I got a shed full of old lawn tractors bolens and deeres and jacobens. and none of them were diesel so i just built my own 920 Diesel. Got under a 1000 in it but the engine was given to me. may be try that route.