Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Finally took a picture of the new find

cckemm

Finally got to take a picture of the my new toy. Notice the milk bottle I dug up with the dozer blade. Amazingly the blade just popped it out of the ground without breaking it. Hmmm, maybe if I dig up enough of those bottles and sell them they will pay for the tractor....:) [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/cckemm/Tractor.JPG[/img] I hope I did this right with the posting the picture....If not I'll have my wife spank me for y'all.:D

Make sure there are no spaces in the file name... That's about all I know about it....

Paint??? that would mean taking it apart!!!! How can I play with it if it is in pieces?? Seriously though, since I have never done it, how long to rip it apart, few hours or few days?

Scary thought taking it apart tho. Rusty and rusted bolts that might twist off? No help on how long it would take. Winter project?

Did the paint come separate on this one? Seriously, a couple of guys have posted recently and it seems that you can take one of those FDTs apart in a night. Good luck with it and take lots of pictures while you're doing it so that we can all learn...

Paint?? Is it to use or show? Paint dont make em run no better. It'll get more reaction the way it is. Instead of " Wow what it cost to do that?" You'll get "Really that thing still runs???" Kidding, I'd take it either way

quote:
Originally posted by cckemm
Paint??? that would mean taking it apart!!!! How can I play with it if it is in pieces?? Seriously though, since I have never done it, how long to rip it apart, few hours or few days?
Prob. hours if you know what you are doing. The key is to be careful with the paint! Keep bugs away, they will screw it up and have you back sanding in no time!

I would say it would take 8 hours to take it apart, pending on what's rusted and what's not. If I took another B-110 or B-112 It would probably only take me two hours just because I am now familiar with the way it comes apart.

It really depends on how good of a paint job you want to do. I usually just remove parts that will make the spray can paint job a little easier. If you look in my gallery at the early B-10 (sticking out of the garage) that was in worst shape than yours. Get a wire brush drill bit for the electric drill, and take down the rust. I don't worry about taking all the old paint off, to me, if it hasn't rusted through or flaked off, it is still good and makes for a good undercoat.;) Take off the hood, the grill, the side trim, the seat, and the wheels. Mask the white side panels and dash. Then paint the rest yellow. When it dries, mask the yellow (I use cat. some people like JD, Kent just found a nice one in the middle, Harvest)and paint the side panels, it is an off-white. Mask the decals and paint the hood separately. Mask and paint the tires separetely that's an off-white too. Paint the grill and trim with aluminum paint. Be careful with the seat, if you try to remove the cushions from the seat frame, you will probably end up going for a new seat. The T-nuts will just turn on the wood and the seat will be loose and annoy the heck out of you. I would remove the whole frame with the seat attached. It'll look great and you can use it in a few days.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will try for the many bugs in the paint look, which will mean no bugs will be around when I start spraying. Gonna use it for a little while though before I start painting, wanna make sure it needs no repairs before that, and have this great new patch of mud in my backyard that I have to finish fixing

If you do find a genie bottle and you get three wishes..make one of the wishes...for 100 more wishes....just imagine how much tractor stuff you could get with that:D Stormy