Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
thedaddycat

Carb swap

thedaddycat
I don't think there's a problem with doing this, but will a carb from a "long intake manifold" Briggs swap right over to a "short intake manifold" Briggs? Both are 10 hp engines. The donor is a 243431, 2580 01, 8506261.

The recipient is a 243431, 0196 01 7008281.

PatRarick
The carb will interchange without any problem. Besides the length of the elbow, the only difference is the length of the throttle link between the governer lever and the throttle shaft of the carb. Pat

HubbardRA
Kirk, Yes you can do that swap. The 10Hp B/S that now powers my AC716 has the carb and tube from the 7.25Hp B/S that originally came on my 61 Wards. "A carb is a carb" as long as the jets allow you to adjust it properly and you can get the governor linkages to work right. I had to make a new rod from the carb to governor on the above setup because of the different location of the carb with the shorter tube. With the smaller carb I picked up considerable low RPM power because of the higher velocity flow through the smaller venturi. The original carb was much larger, but it is also the same one used on the 12 and 16 Hp engines.