Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cubic inch displacement to horse power

rokon2813

the briggs website gives cid but not hp anyone know how to convert or know where there is a chart? particularly interested in 8 cid 10 cid and 24 cid but would like all eventually. also ZZ motor

I don't think there really is a way to find out for sure because the same cubic inch can have several different hp ratings.That is due to different carbs,valves,and compression ratios ect. I would think if you sent them an email with all the numbers on the shroud they should be able to tell you.But I dont think it can be done with just the cubic inch numbers.

I asked Briggs how to tell the difference between the 7 hp Model 19 used in the Simplicity Model 700 and the 7.25 hp Model 19(and later 19D) used in the Model 725 tractors. They told me that accordint to their information, ALL Briggs Modle 19 engines were 7.25 hp. Go figure.....

The old rule of thumb for the single cylinder L-head engines was to multiply the cubic inches by .4. That will give you a fair approximation of horsepower. A 19 cubic inch engine would give you an approximation of 7.6hp. A 23 cubic inch engine would give you an approximation of 9.2hp. Pat

okay guys thanks. I asked briggs but the site says up to 3 days for an answer. I was just hoping for a little quicker. Also at some point they must have changed the code numbering system or the ZZ was made in the 0 month on the 0 day of 1923. We will see what they have to say. Daddycat in my parts manual the 19 and 19d use the same piston and rod but with all the other variables who knows?

guess this all leads to another question. What about engines that no longer have numbers??