Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

paint shame

stumpy

'Tis a sad thing indeed. While I talked my tractor-needing compadre into going with an older Simplicity (3416H), he can't abide by the original paint scheme. The wildlife biologist in him opted for dark hunter green(keeping the hood original white though). Been my experience that dark colors like that tend to make things look "cheap" (aka box-store brands), but in defense it is a nice shade of green. Anybody's machine painted with dark green or blue with white? How's she look? On the plus side, this job is providing me the impetus to finish the tractor shop I've been "getting around" to building for the last couple of years...gotta have somewhere to paint where the bugs can't ruin things.

I would like to see a pic. I agree that tractors painted off color, often end up looking less nice than they otherwise would have. Funny how an auto can look good in a variety of colors but tractors seem to need their original clothes to look dressed. I've seen some real nice off-color paint jobs though.

I've got one painted black with teal flames. It will become orange as my next winter time project.

I have had a few Tractors painted off color's most the time I hate to see this but there has been a few that looked pretty cool....

The only stock color set-up I never cared for, was a motorized Parker lawn sweeper-powder puff blue AND powder puff yellow. Was always curious who OWNED that company! A

Simplicity actually made a Packer version of the late models. Now I realize Packer green is different than hunter green ;-), but you get the idea... Here is a link to one for sale... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2327751166&category=43562

For some reason the JD color scheme never appealed to me... On the other hand, my personal favorite has to be the Cub Cadet color scheme.

When it's more-or-less finito I'll borrow a digital camera and post a pic. It will help quite a bit if I can talk him into getting a set of new decals, at least for the hood....gives it that "official" appearance...

How about Pink? Thats a dandy color ain't it? GaG! My 520 was coated with a pinkish color of red. I cured that last weekend with a new coat of red.

Sam,that was probably red at one time and just faded bad...My uncles D180 looks like the pink/red now.He painted International Red about 12 years with ago and it is pink now,LOL

quote:
Originally posted by mowerman1193
Sam,that was probably red at one time and just faded bad...My uncles D180 looks like the pink/red now.He painted International Red about 12 years with ago and it is pink now,LOL
No, I'm serious... you can see where these guys masked the decals and actually painted the tractor this pink color[:0]

Sam Paint will fade everyware but under the decal. Sealed from weather by the decal. Making it look like it was mask off that way as the edges begin to lift. I used to be a go-for helper in my uncle's car restoration shop. Saw that look many times on the cars and trucks and other stuff that came in. But then again I too have seen some strange ideals of custom paint.

You guys are a tough sell, huh? Noooooo....It was REALLY painted this way on purpose..trust me:o) They did a poor job af masking things off and there is overspray all over evrything including parts of the deck. Now you make me wish I had taken "before" pictures You guys must be from Missouri:D

I beleive you. I used to have a 72 Monte Carlo painted the same color as the new topic folder on here. (purple)

Hmmmmmmm.....maybe I should paint the thing pink, since my buddy is off getting married, going on a honeymoon, and all that assorted stuff that lacks importance in comparison to huntin', fishin', and messin' about with tractors. On the other hand, a pink tractor would likely result in his new wife taking retaliatory measures, and she already looks at me with a wary eye <G>.

Heard Mary Kay, always custom ordered Pink Cadaliacs. I can see the advertisment now... Head on down to your local Simplicity dealer, where you can get the all new 2003 Mary Kay limited edition, pink Simplicity Prestige, The same tractor Mary Kay's Gardner uses.

That would be a new one for cross product advertizing next thing you know they will do one for AVON with a door bell for a horn. DING DONG AVON CALLING lol