Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
arnoldir

My 720 folley, Doh!

arnoldir
Hello All, Got the 720 with loader that was on ebay home, man what a turd. I still bought it, since I was 4 hours from home and did not want to go home empty handed. The main problem I can see is it's got very little drive toque. In 1st gear it can just make it up a small incline. I remember a post that had very detailed instructions for determining which part of the drive system was shot, but I have not been able to find it. On the upside it came with a brand new box scraper, now if I can just get it to where it can actually pull it.

MN_FISH
Try changeing the hydraulic oil and filter. It could be an easy cure? Low of oil or plugged filter? Are the linkages all tight so it is moveing the control on the hydro pump? Did you get any manuals with it?

SmilinSam
quote:
man what a turd.
The worst of it is you havn't even had time to look at all the other things that generally are worn out on those tractors. Charging system Transmission drive clutch bearings/shaft Axle bushings among other things..

arnoldir
Well I've downloaded the repair manual, and ordered 2 hydro filters so I'm on the road to recovery. It does show a charge on the ammeter even when the PTO's are engaged so I think I dodged that bullet for now. If fresh hydro fluid and filter give it enough stooch to push the bucket into a pile of gravel my requirments will be met. For heavy work I've still got the magnatrac 6000 Diesel, and that has proven to be unstopable (but only goes 3mph).

SmilinSam
On the transmission drive clutch, you need to get the side skirts off and take the gas tank off so you can get in and inspect it good. I thought the one on my 720 was fine. Only until I got the two belts off and took hold of the shaft and pulley by hand did I find that the bearings and shaft were both shot. The other tractor I had before tthis one had the same problem too. Its not impossible that the splines could be stripped on the shaft where the double pulley rides causing the pulley to slip, and that would affect the tractors movement. Speculation of course, but worth looking into.

cranemech
Evening Roger, When I first got my 620 I had problems with the trans also. My problem turned out to be that the clutch pulley was frozen to the shaft. I disassembled and cleaned everything,drilled a hole between the bushings and installed a grease zerk. I filled the cavity full of grease once it was all together no problems since. Later, Chad

arnoldir
Thanks for the kind words Andy, and thanks to Wayne, Sam, and Chad for the advice. Now that I've started her up and cruised her around some more I'm thinking "Turd" was a little harsh. The real issue was that the seller listed the item as having been fully serviced and ready to go to work. He had purchased it less than a year ago and he either did not understand the machine had issues or he was blowing happy smoke. I'll just give him the benifit of the doubt and assume it was the first hydro machine he owned. I went for the machine because I needed something I could put right to use, I'd have bought a Kubota but wanted to share in the "Big Simple" experiance. If fresh fluid and a filter does not help with the hydro, I'm going to have to leave it as it is till the winter and tear it apart then. Is the hydro unit still available new ? or is it out of production and only service parts can be had. Regards

andy gartner
Thanks to you too Roger, You're getting great advice above and good answers. The networking possibilities for info and parts seem infinite. Seems I haven't ever found much used that wasn't someone else's unresolved problems. Like the 728 I bought one May, that I immediately needed to cut grass, growing inches by the hour. Never know how that guy got it to run when I tried it at his house. Had a blown engine. Luckily, I found a parts tractor at a dealer. That 'parts' engine still runs 20 years latter. A