Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My AC310 doesn't move, and the grass is tall!

strassmaier

Help fellow tractor lovers! My AC stopped moving! I have had the mower going for a month now, and all has worked great. Even bought a tiller, and that's finally working good. But, yesterday I did a little tilling, and I noticed that the slowest of the seven drive speeds (I think it's called variable speed) weren't working. I'd slide it up to three or four, and I'd be going again. Anyway, I finished tilling a bit, and my wife was ready to mow, so I started back to the garage to take the tiller off, and about halfway there, the drive belt popped off. So I put it back on, and noticed the adjuster for the clutch/brake was loose, and I tightened that back up, but things are still not right. The belt seems way too loose on the pulleys. I am going to pull that wheel so I can see things better, and get out the service manual to check things out, but can anyone give me a little advice?

I am not sure what kind of drive the 310 has, I have a b110 with a 3spd & a simp 3112V with varidrive(as well as a 3212H). Are you sure you mounted the belt correctly after it popped off? Has the belt become too loose-as if it were stretched out? In gear & running if it isn't running are the axle tubes turning without the wheels moving? If they are, then you may have differential problems- look for the several discussions currently available on this forum about diff problems or non moving tractors.

Well, I went through the service manual last night, got the belt on right, and ran through the adjustment proceedure. It drives again, but it still just doesn't seem right. In the manual, it says that the belt should ride about 1/8" in on the ack pulley, and it is far from that, more like an inch. Also, I know I have a really worn BGB (I'm working on a replacement), but I get a lot of "clatter" at the front fork piece that moves the front pulley in and out. Any ideas?

You should be able to adjust the linkages to get the belt right. If not, those belts are fairly expensive($50 to $60) but last thirty years or so. The clatter may be from the three holes in the adjustable pulley being slopped out. You may be able to drill them out and put sleeves/bushings in to take the slop out. Make sure the pulley is tight on the BGB output shaft. Unless the BGB case is shot, you can get new bearings and seals to fix it, too.

I know the BGB is pretty bad, as you can turn it a little back and forthe (the pulley), and it doesn't connect tight to the driveshaft. I get some bouncing in the part that pushes the pulley halves together. I think I need to play with the adjustments more.

If the keyway is getting worn, you might want to have a new keyway machined into the shaft fairly soon or replace the shaft.