Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Aegis powered Sovereign?

Dutch

Check this out………….. According to the Mfg number, it’s supposed to have a Triad, but it looks like someone stuffed an Aegis in it. Could this have been OEM? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2328976359&indexURL=4#ebayphotohosting

It's not a Kohler Aegis motor. The Aegis according to my Kohler book is a water cooled and available only as a vertical shaft. The motor in that tractor is an OHC 18 model TH18 with a heavy duty air cleaner on it. The air cleaner is a Kohler option. Probably added because of having to clean the standard air cleaner frequently.

Kohler Aegis series LH630 & LH685 are Horizontal shaft liquid cooled. LH = Liquid Horizontal LV = Liquid Vertical. The tractor in Dutch's post is Air cooled and has the Aegis Style Heavy duty air cleaner on it.

In the blow up of the engine picture, you can see that the engine is air cooled. You can see the cooling fins in the lower right of the photo. I'm assuming the air cleaner was added. Pat

I guess it's time to get another Kohler book. If you look closely at the engine picture is show "KOHLER OHC 18" which is the Triad series engine. Here's the link to the Kohler website showing the options available for the air intake. That heavy duty air cleaner is available for the Command series engines as well. http://www.kohlerengines.com/pdf/AirIntake.pdf

quote:
Originally posted by arjr111
The hood design/mod. looks a little crude for it to be OEM!
Art, I'm not saying it is OEM, but I've seen some pretty crude stuff come out of factory "mod" centers.

quote:
Originally posted by cyclone700
If you look closely at the engine picture is show "KOHLER OHC 18" which is the Triad series engine. Here's the link to the Kohler website showing the options available for the air intake. That heavy duty air cleaner is available for the Command series engines as well.
It was 3:00 AM when I took a quick look at that thing. Thought it was an Aegis since I never saw (and didn't know) those air cleaners were available on the other engines. Take a look at the "Spec" plate. It lists a "Package" #1693408. I wonder what that is? Perhaps the owner had experience with other Sovereigns and knew that the air intake design was a problem area. [img]/club2/attach/dutch/factory-plate.jpg[/img]

1693407 is a Sovereign 18hp OHC hydro w/ps 1693408 is no match 1694309 is a Sovereign 18hp OHC hydro In checking other numbers it looks like they used odd last number for tractor designation with even last numbers blank.

I beleive the "package" number is an ordering code for a group of items supplied at the same time. It's usually used for a tractor with a mower deck, but might also be used for ordering an attachment and its hitch at the same time. Maybe the "package" in this case was the tractor with heavy duty air cleaner.

Pretty cool air cleaner, and nicely done modification. Could certainly have been factory special order. Certainly a mystery that someone at Port Washington may be able to resolve.

1. I sure would like to have that air cleaner for my new Sovereign. 2. The hood modification to cover the air cleaner sure is crude. Especially if it is a factory job. I wonder if there is enough room between the engine and hood to run a tube from the carburetor intake adaptor to mount the air filter externally? That would be a neat installation if the hood was modified to slope the front of the box down to match the front of the hood. 3. The tractor and accessories are a good deal at the "buy it now" price. The tiller, however, does look like a DIY project. Very interesting!

Hi, I have discussed these TH engine air cleaners with my Kohler rep, and my contact at the Kohler factory and the Simplicity factory. The Donaldson air cleaner came up in discussion with Kohler, but we all agreed a F&F problem exists. [Form and Fit] I am aware that a couple of dealers have used the round dome style air cleaner from the KT 17 and 19. They modified the base plate. The person I talk to at the Kohler factory told me about that. It does however leave 2 open questions. 1 How much should the opening in the blower housing be restricted to maintain balance through the fins? 2 What is happening to the air temperature in the carb venturi? The fuel temperature in the float bowl and the air temp in the venturi are critical numbers in temp test specs as they determine the resistance to vapor lock. This is one of the reasons for the blower blowing directly into the air cleaner. It keeps the food chain cooler. These air cleaner problems are one of the issues that resulted in our TH to CH kits. My Kohler rep called me wanting to know if I had a TH to CH kit to deal with a special problem. No we have a CH kit though. Can you? How soon? We revised our CH kit for this deal and delivered in 2 days documentation and all. Kohler being a big company would have taken months to deal with this. We had to submit our procedures to Kohler to look at for liability reasons. We have provided several of these kits to deal with some special problems. One of the things I have thought about with these Donaldson air cleaners would be to mount them along side like a 7790 muffler and use a flexible hose to connect it. One would want to restrict some of the air out of the blower housing where the old air cleaner got fed. This tractor looks like a home brew to me, and I have never talked to any one at Simplicity that knows of anyone even looking at these cleaners, as I have talked to them about them a couple of years ago. It would be unlikely if they ever experimented with them that it would ever get out of the factory. I can't believe that they would EVER let any thing out without documentation and this tractor has 169xxx numbers. I have been dealing with them for over 22 years, been to the plant about 5 times and have good personal relationships with a number of people up there. I try very hard to develope personal relationships with every company we deal with. Some are more open than others, but NO ONE is more open than Simplicity. Once you develope a relationship, you get "You ought to talk to XXXX, give him a call at this number". This is how one gets past the "Operator". This is how the doors open. Regarding the nameplate. When a tractor is built, and it gets to the end of the line a nameplate is printed and a nameplate for the mower deck printed. Normally the unit is packaged with a mower. At the same time 2 adhesive backed labels about 6" wide and 24" long are printed. Both big labels have a package # 169xxxx plus the serial numbers for the tractor and mower. This identifies the tractor mower package. Then on the tractor label the tractor the 169xxx pkg # and the tractor 169xxx number and serial number are also printed. The mower has its own 169xxx number and serial number. The big labels that go on the outside opposite corners of the crate have only the package 169xxx number and the tractor and mower serial number. This identifies the package. This tractor is invoiced to the dealer with the package number. These numbers are what the floor plan checkers [auditors] check when they come and check your inventory. Once the tractors are uncrated and sold, the warranty form ONLY gets the tractor and the mower 169xxx numbers and serial numbers. The package 169xxx number goes to never never land and is never used again. Once the tractor gets set on the pallet, it gets banded down and a large white shrink wrap cover goes over it. Then it goes through an oven that shrinks the wrap. Exiting the oven the rest of the crating is stapled on and the 2 big white labels are stuck on opposite corners of the crate, a few staples added for insurrance and they go out in a stack in the lot. A number of years ago, Simplicity needed to expand. They did a study and determined that most dealers had to store units outside. They changed their packaging to the current outdoor compatable system and went to outside storage at the factory and used the warehouse for production. Nuff said, Al Eden