Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A Simplicity related question!

68_Mag

Well, I found my first Simplicity. I think. A local repair shop has a Simplicity 5612 Hydro sitting in their scrap yard. The guy said the gas cap busted, and thus got water in the gas, and instead of fixing it, his employees shoved it down in the field since they deal in new Cub Cadets. He's asking 300 dollars. He said it ran good and was very strong before they parked it, but I cant check anything out due to the non- running engine. It has a deck...dont know what size, but looked like a 42 or 46. Is that a fair price? Is there anything I need to watch out for? Thanks

I paid $100.00 for a 1978 AC 710 6 speed, it just needed to be cleaned up (gas lines etc) and she started right up. Since then I put in another engine and she runs great. What year is the 5612?JH

There is a link under Resources -> Articles about what to look for when getting a new tractor. Very good source...check it out.

I have no idea what year it is, and the shop owner doesnt know either. How does the 710 compare to the 5612? Is it just the AC equivalent or something?

You can offer him a lot less. He might take the offer or reduce his price to get it off his lot. It worked for me at a JD dealer.

Well, I offered him 200 and was told that 300 was the best he could do, since he paid 350 for it and had put new tires all around (which he did) on it, and was sacrificing as much as he could. So, is 3 a fair price? Is this considered one of the small frame tractors, or large? No, it isnt my dream Allis B-206 or 207 foot dragger, but it is the only Simplicity I can find within 100 miles...

If it is something you want and feel that it is in good condition and you feel that it is a good price then it is a good deal. The 710 Allis Chalmers is the same as the 7000 series Simplicity A large frame tractor and I would think it is a good deal. [url="http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_External.asp?LinkID=65&LinkName=A%20list%20of%20things%20to%20check%20when%20evaluating%20a%20used%20tractor.%20%20Please%20add%20to%20it%20by%20clicking%20the%20link%20to%20"Click%20Here%20to%20Discuss%20This%20Resource.""] What to look for when checking out a used tractor... [/url]

Thanks UCD. I reckon once I get my money together it'll be coming home with me, and my posts will actually be on topic. Is there any way to check the hydro unit with it not running?

Let's get this straignt -- is this is a Simplicity 5216 we're talking about? Does it look like the 5116 shown below? [img]http://simpletractors.com/images/new_in_1983/5116_mower.jpg[/img] If so, this is NOT a large-frame garden tractor like the 7000/7100 series. It is a Broadmoor II machine. It has a vertical shaft Briggs twin, but it can take a tiller. But, it is NOT in the class of the larger Sovereign, Landlord or Baron tractors. IMO, $300 would be a fair price if it was running and in good condition. Without it running, and not being able to check the engine or hydro -- it's not such a good deal... Be careful. My two cents....

Well, here's a picture I took of it...yes, it's a 5216...does this mean I cant get a rear lift group or sleeve hitch for it? [img]http://www.tractorshed.com/gallery/tphotos/a13877.jpg[/img]

The 5216 was considered a Lawn Tractor in the small frame group. Here is a section out of the operators manual for attachments available

Hmm. Well, shoot. I dont know if I'm going to try and get it now or not. I really want a garden tractor or old foot- dragger, but cant seem to find any around here. Guess I just have to think on it some more...

You can get a rear lift group and sleeve hitch if you can find the parts or make them. Here's the parts manual for 4000, 5000, and 6000 Series Attachments and Accessories: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_838_05_AT_S.pdf

Doesn't sound like such a good deal to me. I bought an AC410 with a 42" deck and a 42" snow blade last week for $350.. The tractor runs great and only needed a new battery. The 5216 is much less of a tractor. I would scrape my money together and wait for a tractor in running condition, where you can actually check the hydro and make sure the engine runs right.

To bad your not closer I got an early B-10 with a rust free 42"deck,42"snow plow that runs good and no smoke for $400.I hav'nt listed it for sale, thought I'd just mow with it.I got plenty of other tractors though.

One thought, if the dealer put new tires on it, he must have considered it to be in good shape, then again, maybe he found something wrong after he replaced the blown tires he took it in with, thus rolled it down the hill, hmmmm, bone yard specials, if its not a model you want think I'd leave it sit,,MPH