Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Are these Simplicity/AC's overpriced?

Nick

These tractors are for sale in the local paper. I think they are over priced. What do you think? Deutz Allis Lawn Tractor 20 HP, 5' cut, $3200. Call 845-564-8778 Not so sure about this one, seems over priced. I would pay $1,000 depending on condition. 1990 Simplicity Sunstar with 60" mower deck, 46" two stage snow blower, and soft cab, various other parts. $2500. 845-292-6247.

It all depends on the condition. The Sunstar line is usually higher priced the smaller series. The '90 sounds like a fairly nice tractor and if it is in good shape is probably worth the $2500 The Deutz is probably the same basic tractor and sounds a little high.

I thought like the Duetz was a little high in price, A totally different guy I used to work for doing house cleanouts put a 4 Cylinder Chrysler-Nissian Diesel engine in the Want Ad Digest that he got for free, for $2000. I asked why so much? He told me he had to make back the cost of the ad (ad is only $20.00) So if he sold it even for $25.00, he would have made it back. It had the dash assembly, key, starter, and the hour meter was low, something like 865 hours. He tried to claim because he had the key he could get $100.00 more. (he must be stupid, It was one of those keys that fit any engine) He didn't even know if it run. and he wonders why he doesn't make any money reselling anything, and why I don't want to work with him anymore. Tried to sell my brother a Volkswagen Bug that was rusted out for $1000, that he got for free. He must think we are stupid.

The Simplicity seems an average price considering the attacments with it. The Duetz is way out of the ball park though. Around here there is a bad stigma with that green paint. Go to an auction locally and put a Duetz next to an identical Simplicity and the Deutz will consistently bring about 30% less everytime. I watched a Deutz 1920 with power steering and a 5" deck sell at auction for $900 a couple of years ago. Perfect mechanically but had that green paint...

It was repainted in Agco orange with Agco decals, but they didn't blast the green off, and everywhere the orange was scrathed an peeling the green stuck out like a sore thumb. I know a guy locally that does buy the Duetz stuff cheap, dissassembles and sandblasts all the green paint off the repaints and redecals in the correct Simplicity decals then re sells. He seems makes money doing it....

It all depends on how many hours are on it, not to mention the heavy duty shaft driven implements that it uses, they are some really good solid machine that last. What if it only had 400 hours on it and was mint? How many of you would buy that awful green paint, which i'm partial too anyway;)

• 4 weeks later...
What is the correct Simplicty Decals for a Duetz. How would you know which is which if they did a good job? The sunstars that i have seen on this site look very blah compared to the AC 620 and powermax. Am I missing something?

define overpriced!!!!! #1 is it worth it to you? #2 can he/she get that price? sometimes things are worth more to one person than another including the seller, if they can get that much for it the the answer is no! if it is not worth it to you then the same answer! going market price is what it is worth to the buyer and seller,' i have overpaid for some things i wanted and by the same token held on to somethings that probabally not worth what i was asking, but what i wanted for them only to take less down the road! oh well.

Actually some people just have a cheap character, not that there is anything wrong with getting a good deal, just don't expect to get that "steal of a lifetime" every time. That Sunstar (Legacy) today with thrower is over $11,000 - without the cab. This site would not be so popular if people did not appreciate their value!