Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
marrt

Buying AC 916H - What to look for?

marrt
In another thread, I posted a question about the value of an AC 916H I can buy. Based on responses to that thread, I think I will buy the tractor. However, before I make the final plunge, I would like to look the tractor over one more time. And so, my question is...what are the top five things I should look for when determining the condition of this tractor? For example, how can I judge if the hydro pump is in good working order and not excessively worn? Are there specific parts that I should pay particular attention to because of availability or cost of replacement. Etc... Thanks Much.

UCD
There is an article on the site on what to look for in a tractor by SmilinSam. It is under resources at the top of this page then click on articals here is a link [url="http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_External.asp?LinkID=65&LinkName=A%20list%20of%20things%20to%20check%20when%20evaluating%20a%20used%20tractor.%20%20Please%20add%20to%20it%20by%20clicking%20the%20link%20to%20"Click%20Here%20to%20Discuss%20This%20Resource.""] What to look for when checking out a used tractor... [/url]

Mike
I have had a 916H for about 3 years, I absolutely love it. Other than routine maintainence and a tire here and there, no problems. I think the most important and overlooked thing to look for is cracks in the axle tubes, also high on the list is bev box free play.

Stoneheartfarm
Looked at a 920 diesel today on the way home. $600.00. It has fallen off a truck. The exhaust manifold is broken and the steering gear is broken. Other than that, it just has a real bad case of road rash. (Must've hit doing 80). Man, these are tough tractors. Steve

Stoneheartfarm
Thanks Maynard, I think I'm going to pass on this particular machine. I don't think there's anything too hard to fix that's wrong with it, I just don't have the time to mess with it right now. Thought about buying and parting it out, but... Steve