Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Horsepower Per Acre For Mowing Only ?

andy gartner

178 1 18 1/2hp 1 16hp 2 5hp          44.5 HP HP per acre 1/4 acre = 44.5 X 4 = 178hp per acre Or 44.5 ÷ .25 = 178hp per acre Creative math

Let's see now...... I have two 7's, three 10's, two 12's, a 14, and a few others. Am I supposed to add them up???

I have an 18, a 12, two 10s, a 9 and a 7.25, That would add up to 66.25 HP divided buy 3 acres = 22.0833333 HP per acre...:)

12. Right now I only use one tractor to mow. If we use the creative math then I guess it's 48.

Have you seen what HP/mower deck size, manufacturer's tractor sites recommend per acre? Are they using creative too? A

Here is average mowing per hour with different deck sizes. Horsepower is pretty much up to each OEM. I have a Sunstar 20HP with a 48" and that is for the most part overkill unless you get into knee deep grass. Then it is a matter of the deck being able to blow out those gobbs of grass. http://www.ferrisindustries.com/m_productivity.php

Five Lawnboys @ 3-1/2 HP each, one 7010-6 @ 10 HP, one 3112H upgraded to 16 HP and one Sunstar @ 20 HP for about 1/5 acre and if I use Maynards math equation, that comes up to 315 HP per acre.