Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What gear?

wantedinct

It's been about 15 years since I mowed using a tractor with gears. Then I think I used second gear, the most, on my Big Ten.

On the B-112 I use third a lot, second for getting the edges. The variable makes it a lot easier to mow in different gears.

When I used my shuttle I used 2nd for the heavy stuff and third for stuff that was mowed regularly.

I use Second gear most of the time.. unless it's heavy then first I have tried 3rd but it didn't seem to cut real good .... (B112)

I always used 3rd gear on the 3212 untill the the engine went bad.The variable speed makes it work good.

2nd gear allmost all the time unless I'm in a hurry. Third is alittle to fast and it seems it might work better in 2nd. 1st for the heavy and going around things. I use a B10 and a 12, haven't put a deck on the 717 giving the old girl a rest after restoring Shes on her third motor since 1969 and has seen alot of abuse from myself and my son. but 2nd for her too.

I use third gear with my 312 also. The variable speed covers the speed range nicely. 'course you should have sharp blades and the throttle maxed for good results. Steve

I mowed in 2nd most of the time due to the rough spots in my yard. I also found that I got a better cut in 2nd. I have a B12 and mow about 4 1/2 acres with it ever week. I got tired of the long hours and installed an eight inch tractor drive pulley. I did some math and found that I could mow in 3rd gear that way and actually have a faster ground speed than 2nd with the six inch. I am thinking of trying a 5.5 inch pulley to speed up second and get my transport speed back for 3rd. I have cut my mowing time and still have a great cut. Every one who sees my yard finds it hard to believe that I am mowing with a 36 year old tractor. I recently went to a neighbors rescue and mowed due to a death in the family. I actually drew a crowd and got comments like, "They don't make them like they used to," and "mowes better than my John Deere," and, "I can't believe how you motor through that tall grass and how well it blows it out!" It made me proud! By the way, I was using the 8" drive pulley.

on my landlord I use 2nd. if the grass isnt too tall it'll handle 3rd but my yard is too rough. also the steering needs attention so its difficult to make a straight line in third (lol). As a rule and any farmer out there should be able to verify this, most tractors large or small were not designed to work in high gear. A lot of them will but its mainly a transport gear. Your attachments whatever they are just dont have the rpms to do a good job at that high ground speed.

When I did alot of mowing on a AC B-110 in second full throttle A touch of brake for the tight turns I think the old girl ran her best and gave the best cut that way That tractor was my grandma's and she always checked the yard when finshed if she didn't like it she was not afraid to tell you She had bought the tractor new she picked the b-110 over the b-112 because she could get on it more easly and sit more to her liking. She told me the b-112 was to big for her.

I mostly use 3rd on my 7013S. Its pretty fast but with sharp blades it still does an awesome job cutting. My neighbors still don't understand why I like this old tractor. It cuts better than theirs and was alot cheaper.

Smooth areas that get mowed once in awhile and have no trees, get mowed in third. Otherwise, second. I can't turn fast enough in third to steer around the trees, and if the grass is heavy, it just fills up the deck to go that fast. Steve

With a Simpicity I cut a local Drive-In theatre a few years back mostly in third gear just because you have such a straight run. It floated right over the ramps without scalping. I mainly use 2nd on our lawn and first in other areas due to the fact we have alot of trees and rocks.