Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starter / Generator need oil ?

KSever

I've looking at this plug in the top of my starter/generator. This looks to me as if it is a plug for oiling the bearing just like on the electric motors that I have to oil at work. Am I correct on this or is it something else? If so maybe it will quiet down the whine that I have?

I recently had 2 S/G's rebuilt and one of them had an oil cup the other did not have them. The guy that rebuilt the S/G said that the new bearings were "oilless bearings" that did not need the oil cups. JH

I only "oil" mine once in a while a few drops... And now that you mention it Seems like when I had the one rebuilt on my 3410S they said it had a different style bearing then what they replaced it with....

Kris, The whine could be the bearings or it could be brush noise if the unit has been repaired and the armature was not turned & the brushes seated. My 2 cents,

I would like to thank all the input I had here on this. I did oil this today after working about 1 hour to get this plug out. I finally had to poke a nail in the middle of this plug and screw a screw into it and pull the whole plug and screw out together. Oiled the felt inside with about 4 squirts of oil and it quieted down alot. Must have not had any oil in YEARS. Kris

I have replaced all of my CE frames from the bushing type type to the ball bearing type. At one time Delco-Remy had a kit for doing that. That frame style is the 'achilles heel' of starter-generators so to speak. In time if not regularly oiled, raises problems with the brush holders and armature.