Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BGB Help

ambler

I was going over a new acquisition 7112 H. I was moving the seat and noticed a black oil spray under the seat deck. I started to check the hyrostatic drive belt and noted that it was black an oily. Tearing the belt pullys down, I noted the output pulley on the BGB was loose with about an 1/8th inch play. I tightened the large bolt up until their was no play and plan to put a new belt on and thoughly clean all the oil and dirt in the region. Is their a gasket behing the pulley? What else should I check?

My suggestion would be to download the large frame repair manual the Repair Manual can be found by typing 500 in for the part # This site has all the Manuals you could ever want. This will require some time and effort on your part Use Part# 100,200,300, ETC. to 900.Then you will have to scroll thought the list to find the one you want. They all have discriptions. All of the repair manuals are here. Part# 100 OPERATOR'S MANUALS Part# 200 INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS,OPERATOR'S MANUALS Part# 300 DEALER SETUP INSTRUCTIONS Part# 400 PARTS MANUALS Part# 500 REPAIR MANUALS Part# 600 Safety Section,INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS Part# 700 Neutral Adjustment Guide,Electrical Information Manual, Product Service Bulletin Book Part# 800 Misc. Part# 900 Service Bulletin Book,Limited Warranty Simplicity Technical Publications Document Search Engine. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/v_techpubsearch.php

UCD, I have a hard copy of the large frame manual, and the parts list. What I was looking for would be the benefit of others experience.

I noticed alot of built up grease on the bottom of my tranny, dosen't smell like gear oil, Just has a grease smell, so I am unsure if anything is leaking. I Plan on putting on new gaskets on the BGB, and the tranny just because I am in the process of restoration, and it is easier to do it now then later.

Ambler, better get that BGB out and rebuild it. It sounds like the very least that it needs is a new set of seals. At worst you may have some bad seals and maybe a couple of worn gears. This is all much better than having to find a replacement BGB to install. I just went through that process a few weeks ago and it gets quite expensive. Good luck.

I was going to replace the belt and thourghly clean the area and monitor before rebuilding. I have a parts tractor if need be. There is no noticable side to side motion (relative to shaft) at present. If it works up then there should be a new leak.