Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

720 update / sanity check

arnoldir

Hello All, I mounted the box scraper that came with the tractor, seller did not have it mounted, now I know why. Try to lift the 3pt and grrrrrrr but no lift, sounds like the charge pump is cavitating. I check the hydro filter, and guess what, it says it's an OIL FILTER! I suspect the filter has been starving the charge pump ? New filters I ordered did not come in yet, does anybody have a crossrefrence number for something I can get at the local mower shop? Am I on the right track thinking the filter is the problem ? Thanks

The correct filter and an oil change wouldn't hurt. Might cure the problem if not it could be seals in the lift cyl, or in the pump it self. Also a hydrulic line colasping internaly could do it.

Not sure what "oil" filter is on yours but most powermax owners use an oil filter for the hydro. Don't really know if there is a difference in the filters or not but motor oil and hydro oil are basically the same but with different viscosity's.

Evening Roger, Check here: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17031 I use the 51307 with no problems. Later, Chad

don't know if they are the thing to use or not , but I've been using a Fram PH16 automotive filter in all my Wheel Horse Hydros for years as well as my earlier Simplicity SundStrands that mount from underneath, and on my 720. Don't know the pros and cons , but it works for me. My Wheel Horse dealer put me onto them years ago because that was what he was using himself. Havn't heard from a Simplicity Dealer on this. I think most want to keep selling their $15 filters...

Ahhhhh, I just read the link above on the Fram. MAybe I'll start using the Napa filters instead...

Hey Chad, Thanks for the link, just as I suspected. I remembered reading somewhere that oil filters are supposed to filter down to 5-7 microns, and hydro filters are a 25 micron typical. It looks like the filter on the 720 is on the suction line to the charge pump and as soon as I heard the pump growl I suspected that Fram filter was wrong. Thanks for all the other responses also, and happy tractoring to everybody.

I have not had any problems with the Fram PH16 filter (or the Napa)but that's not to say that some may be defective. Filtering efficiency between the Fram and Napa filters should be basically the same. No new or advaned technology here. HEPA air filters are required to filter down to 10 microns so an oil filter that does that should have no problem filtering a liquid in a clean environment (shouldn't be any dirt in a hydro system anyway). 25 microns or 5-7 microns are both extremely small particle size so there isn't really much difference. Plus, when a filter begins filtering it's efficiency in particle reduction generally increases as the additional particles add in filtering even smaller particles. I remember Al Eden cautioning against changing tranny oil with any dirt in the area due to the damage a little dirt could do to a hydro. He recommended a thorough cleaning of the area prior to opening the system whatsoever. Point being that overfiltering is probably better than not filtering enough........While on the point of hydro whining, low fluid level can also cause that to happen.

Almost forgot. A bad or in need of adjustment hydro charge relief valve can definetly cause the tractor to lose its hydro power by not allowing the pressure to build up to level that is needed. I think I would check that out prior to taking out the hydro for disassembly.