Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Rob-B

L.P.G. Farmall

Rob-B
While I was at the dealership on vacation they also had this farmall. Does anybody know the model? [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/rob-b/L.P.G.%20FARMALL.JPG[/img] Also what are the pros and cons of being powered by propane (large tank in back of steering wheel) on farm equipment?

goatfarmer
I was at an auction a number of years ago. The old farmer who died had about a dozen or so Minneapolis Moline tractors,all propane powered. Auctioneer mentioned propane engines started easier in all weather. Don't know how true that is...

UCD
Rob It looks like an M or superM The advantage was cheaper fuel the engines ran cleaner. No disadvantage that I know of othere than you couldn't just run down to the gas station with a 5 gallon can and get gas.

Nick
[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/184497/nanaonauntmarysfarm001.jpg[/img] This photo was taken in May 1952 on my grandparents honeymoon at my great aunt & uncles dairy fary in Oneonta, NY. My grandmother, great uncle, and second cousin are sitting on a Farmall Model C. They sold the farm, with the tractor in 1964.

RayH
Where I grew up in W. Tex., the big advantage of butane/propane (LPG) was that just about everyone used the stuff to cook, heat and in some cases power their refegerators. Powering a tractor, pick-up truck was a real advantage, since you had LPG to run your house and equipment. The cost of LPG up until the late 90s was also a big plus. The engine ran a lot cleaner in that used oil coming out of the crankcase was almost as clean as the oil coming out of a new can...the downside to using LPG in a engine was that the engine would lose about 10% or more in output hp. As far as starting better in colder weather, I would say no better or worse. I do know the butane would freeze up in below freezing temps.

run real clean,lose some power like they say.real easy to switch it back to gasolene what is probly what it was from the get go:D

PatRarick
Looks more like an "H". Don't know if this is a factory job or not. Have only seen one factory Farmall "M". I have a neighbor with two Minneapolis-Moline LP tractors. Have another neighbor with a 1975 Chevrolet 1/2 ton pickup that has been converted to LP. Cannot agree that they start easier than gasoline. I do know that they run quieter and cleaner. Pat

slb04786
The best place to get an answer to that question is at [url]www.ytmag.com[/url] . Just select the discussion forum and then select Farmall. If you post that picture and questions you will get all kinds of answers from people who have these tractors. Sorry guys, not saying you aren't knowledgable or anything. Stan