Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

simplicity 2 wheel

rokon2813

picked one up today. What do I look for when I get it home? any model more "collectable" or rare? I'll post a pic when it gets here.

Hello Dan, On the main simpletractors homepage there is a section titled "walkers", Kent has a large resource of manuals and brochures scanned in that should help identify the new find. To me the most desirable machines are the V, VA, VB, VC models that have the 3 speed + reverse trans. and the VC is my favorite because it also has a hi-low in the differential. The later W used the gearbox and axle from the 700 4 wheel tractor, and I have no experiance with these as yet. However the V is better suited to plowing because it has a solid axle and dog clutches on the wheels like the older models so it will always pull in a straight line.

Hello Dan, Look to see if the Simplicity name is on side of tractor frame,behind wheel,or Simplicity name tag is on trans case facing you when you are holding handle bars. Try this web site lots of information on Simplicity two walking tractors.;);) Also have a Simplicity model chart with specs for two wheel walking tractors. There is also the Simplicity model H has a gear box with 3 speeds forward,and reverse. Also Simplicity model F,FA,FB,FC have 6 speeds forward and 2 reverse. [img]http://www.simplicityva.com/tvgtp.gif[/img] [url]www.simplicityva.com[/url] Karl

ok guys. turns out theres 2 of them. one is definatly a model L. The tag says so. The other I dont know. There is no tag so it might not even be a simplicity. I went through all the pics I could find on here and dont see one like it. Its too dark out to get a pic so I'll describe it best I can and maybe I can get a pic tomorrow. It appears to be nearly the same color as the other from what i can tell thru the rust. It appears to only have one gear...forward It has 3 bolt wheels It has a dog style drive like you mentioned except this has one dog per wheel, its on the outside where you can see it and the gear is on the axle shaft not around the outside like a hub as they are on the V As you stand in the operators position the belt is on the left like the L. All other walkers I've seen its on the right side The belt turns a shaft with a cog type gear on it which in turn turns a large "wheel" type gear full of holes. Kinda like an old wheel driven manure spreader? All the pics I found had pipe tube handles this one has bar stock Handles and braces. I'm sure now I have you all as confused as me. Any ideas? I'll do pictures tomorrow, I just couldnt wait to ask.

By the pics on your site Karl ( Great site by the way!!) I dont think its a simplicity. All your pictures show the same basic wheel hub and a chain case just inside the right wheel. This thing has neither.

here they are folks a simplicity model L and a "who knows". I forgot the before pic so I have already removed the head bolts from the simplicity. It was seized but an hour with some tranny fluid, a pipe wrench and a wire brush took care of that. Then no spark so another hour to get the flywheel off clean everything and replace the spark plug wire to take care of that. Then another hour to go thru my piles of parts for a carb. It didnt have one, I did. After 4 hours of puttering I heard it run for about 30 seconds. More cleaning and tinkering to do but ITS GONNA LIVE AGAIN. Hasnt run since at least 1977. Anybody got any idea what the other one is?

• 4 weeks later...