Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Putter

Seized bearing race removal

Putter
Any great ideas on how to liberate an inner ball bearing race from the generator armature shaft that it has grown so attached to? I was thinking of scoring it on both sides about half way through with a die grinder cut-off wheel and breaking it off but any other ideas are welcome. The bearing pieces are all gone except for the inner race, there is not enough room to get the teeth of a puller under it.

Bunky
I would try the Die grinder idea I have done this before on mower spindles.. other wise there's a tool my dad has I think it's Called a bearing seperator.. Might be too big for this, But it slides under the Bearing or race and then you can hook a puller to the seperator...

UCD
Putter The fastest way is with the die grinder then use a cold chisel on a solid surface and hit a solid blow and it should split. Besure no one is standing nereby and you have your safty glasses on. (it will fly)

powerking_one
Putter, Alternately, you could use a Dremel tool with a mini-cutoff disc. I it one of my favorite tools and is seldom "put away" and usually front and center on the tool bench. Since this is a small bearing/race you're dealing with, there'd be more control/precision of the cut than with a larger pneumatic type die grinder. Those commutator segments are real close to the race and one little slip of the grinder could "ruin your day" so to speak. Tom(PK)

DanBov
Dremel with a cut off disc, cut a little more than half way down on opposite sides of the race . Then use a nut splitter in the slots you just cut . A few turns and it should break free .

JoeJ
On larger inner bearing races if you can get in there. Run weld beads at 12-3-6-9 o'clock. As the beads cool and contract the race will fall out. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/JoeJ/joej_sig2.gif[/img]

JoeJ
That's why I said larger races, not on the generator. But if apart would think asbestos cloth or bendable tin could be used to protect them. Even on large bearing races I would spray the daylights out of things with "Splats" and protect surounding area. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/JoeJ/joej_sig2.gif[/img]

patrician12
Cut the bearing with a wiz wheel or die grinder in a straight line across narrow of bearing on two sides about 3/4 the the thickness of the race.Then place on anvil or vice and hit the race hard with a hammer.The race will crack like glass.