Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

powermax hydro filter ? - what do you use ?

schaefer72

hi what other types of filters do owners use for the hydro filter on a powermax 4041 - i would like to have one that is available at local auto store - i read about the sam using the fram ph16 (oil filter ) - the auto parts guy said it also crosses over to a hydraulic filter - with similar numbers - what are all the powermax owners using - also what type of hydro fluid to most use ? - thanks alot

I posted a couple of weeks about this on my 7016H... There was a few people pushing for the Simplicity filter others... and the fluid for the 7016H they said to use Type "F" or Dextron/Mercron...

After reading in another posting :[url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17031[/url] recently about the NEw PH16's with the black grip on them being different than the earlier ph16, I am going to switch to a NAPA filter as suggested in that post. After thinking back on it my hydros have all been a bit sluggish since they came out with these black grip PH16's.

I stopped using Frame filters several years ago. I bought a 94 Dodge Dakota new. About 500 miles after the first oil change the filter worked loose, pumped oil every where. Took it off and found the gasket blown loose after it had came loose. Put the gasket back in right, added oil and got home. Figured I didn't get it tight enough the first time. Next day put a new filter on and made sure I got it tight. Didn't last 1000 miles and came loose. This time a couple of miles from nearest store. Have used different brands since and never had a problem. Dave

have had real good luck on using napa filter #1307 on my pow'r max. been using type FA transmission fluid, even went so far as to drill and tap rear of tranny case for a pipe plug. makes changing trans fluid a whole lot simpler and more likely to get done every year.:D Buster