Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Non moving B-112 mowing grass again

LeoB

Well folks... I'm back in the mowing business again. My B-112 is running like a champ. It turned out that the keys had come out on the main differential gear. I'm glad I checked the archives and listened to what DaddyCat had to say about differentials in general and in particular the surprise of a differential with springs. I didn't expect it, but was prepared when I saw the case start to spread as I unbolted the outer case fasteners. I figure I must've somehow knocked the keys out when I was installing the axle and differential assembly over the weekend. Kent had told me that it worked fine the last time he had it installed in one of his tractors and from the looks of the internals, he was right on the money. Thanks again Kent. The gears and springs were all in great shape inside the differential although one of the keys has bite marks on it. I cleaned it all out and then packed it with new grease before reassembling with new keys. The axle looked fine and the new keys fit with no play whatsoever. The longer bolts on in the limited slip locations worked well too. So it looks like a wrap once again. Thanks for all your help and patience in my long winded postings. Rereading my posts, I see that I tend to ramble a bit... just like this post!

Glad to hear you Got it working I hate it when I have a tractor down, like right now I have 2 one needs rear tires and the other the Hydralift isn't working....

Glad to hear it's up and running -- and that the problem wasn't with this new differential that you got from me....

Leo that is what i like about this forum, friendly people that like to help one another, most other forums have a good amount of bashers on them and therefore arent as much fun.

Kent, I hope that I didn't imply in any way that I was displeased with the parts or that you mislead me in any way. You were clear on the condition of everything and I couldn't be happier with the outcome. When buying used parts, you are always taking a chance. Even if it had some broken parts inside, I feel that I got a good deal. My original differential was just a jumble of broken gears and spacers and washers. This last weeks ongoing adventures are just all part and parcel of owning these great old machines. Now thanks to everyone here, I'm pretty knowledgeable regarding differentials and hubs and axle tubes and how they work together. I guess I won't be so nervous when it comes to Bevel gear boxes and the such. What I did learn though is to try to have some of these harder to find parts on the shelf and ready in the event of a breakdown. It'll take some of the stress out of the whole thing.

Leo, the BGB is even simpler than the differential. The BGB pics are at the bottom of page 1 and near the bottom of page 2. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=10303&SearchTerms=frame,up,restoration,2012