Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

mowerman1193

Speaking of the dumps/scrap yards

mowerman1193
I picked up this Broadmoor 707 tractor today at a local metal recycler for $5.It has a few parts I needed for my restoration of my 717 such as the steering arm,axle hub, and the double pulley assembly for the drive/clutch system.The lift handle has the best chrome that I have seen on one yet as its like new chrome.It also has the HI/LO pulley set up that seems to be in good shape, and a original style light bar.The grille is bent up a little but I think I could fix it if I needed one.It was all there but the motor,front tires, and hood as far as I can tell.The trans seems to be ok as well.I think I did ok for $5 :D [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/mowerman1193/Dump.JPG[/img]

KenK
You did better than I.A friend of mine said he seen a yellow A-C tractor heading to the scrap yard.I went down to check it out and they had already smashed it with there giant magnet and loaded it on there semi.}:):(!:((can't save em all)

Nick
quote:
Originally posted by Bunky
Ya I don't like the Horror Stories either... Like the otherday I passed a Homelite up at the Scrap yard went back the next day to get it... It was gone.....
The way I look at it, at least someone saved it.;) Sometimes I wonder about the scrap yard by me, how much stuff that is decent even non tractor items aren't saved.

mowerman1193
Nick,you would be suprised at some of the stuff people throw out...My brother used to work for the dump and he would bring home like new TVs, Radios, lawn mowers,and you name it.

Boney
I went to the dump one day and there was a perfectly good 24ft boat in the dumpster, i asked the guy about it and he said that a man and a women backed up " the dumpster is at ground level" with the boat and unloaded it off the trailer right into the dumpster " dumpster is the size of a tractor triler box", the guy asked the couple why they were throwing away a perfectly good boat and the women said "teach my [img]/club2/attach/UCD/censored.gif[/img] husband a lesson" evidently the man with her was not her husband. I have another similar story but will save it for another time.

Bunky
Well My wife would of Been single Real quick.. I would of been posting an ad: Looking for a Good Woman, with Boat and motor, please send picture of Boat and Motor... LOL

stormy2163
I knew Bunky had something to do with that find...and a nice find it was.And it seems I have heard that woman and boat ad somewhere else.If yall have nightmares please don't wake the children.lol Stormy

pacodiablo
quote:
Originally posted by KenK
You did better than I.A friend of mine said he seen a yellow A-C tractor heading to the scrap yard.I went down to check it out and they had already smashed it with there giant magnet and loaded it on there semi.}:):(!:((can't save em all)
I hate to see/hear that. It happens too much. One man's junk is another's treasure - don't ruin the treasure!

Nick
quote:
Originally posted by mowerman1193
Nick,you would be suprised at some of the stuff people throw out...My brother used to work for the dump and he would bring home like new TVs, Radios, lawn mowers,and you name it.
Our local transfer station no longer lets anyone pull stuff anymore. Giving somebody something off your truck is still ok though. They had 3 women fall into what they call "the pit" over the years, Never had any men fall in there for some reason. The pit is in what looks like a giant tractor shed, and it is 50 feet deep, and 75 feet long. You back up to it dump your load, and when it is 50% full they compact & crush it. It then falls into a waiting tractor trailer.

mowerman1193
I wonder how long it will be before they dont let us into the scrap yards around here...A couple years ago we used to be able to just drive the car through the place..guess to many was steeling stuff and now they have a lot to park in and walk though the place now...My guess is that one day some idiot will trip on something and sue the place and that will be the end of good treasures... I can remember 15-20 years ago if we went to a auto salvage yard we had to take our own parts off the cars.Now they have parts pullers that do that for you.And they wont allow anyone that is not employed back in the yard..I can somewhat understand that though because some people will destroy 20 good parts just to get to the part they want...