Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
slughammer

Muffler for 720

slughammer
Looking for some suggestions on replacing the muffler on my 720. The insides in mine are shot and it is WAY TOO LOUD. Some of the criteria I'm working with here are. 1. Stacks are not an option, I have a fair amount of immature trees to mow around. 2. The left side exhaust discharge on my original muffler was not the most pleasant thing to avoid. When it was on the left, I always seemed to be needing to lean over to that side. Currently I have the discharge routed out the front and it seems to suit me better. 3. The more quiet the better, it would be neat to be able to mow without ear muffs. I'm considering using (2) small automotive mufflers going straight fwd from the exhaust manifolds. I have tools including welder and oxy-acetylene, I lack tube bending capabilities. Anyone manage to re-muffler a 720 without $pending a fortune?

cranemech
Evening, Welcome. I revamped the exhaust system on my 620, I couldn't see spending $250.00 for a new muffler. I've got maybe $30 into it and some scrap steel. Trees are not a problem so I went the stack route. I will further refine my exhaust this winter (too busy working the tractor now) I dont want to unduly modify my hood so I've left it off, hence the refinement. I ended up cutting the stock exhaust pipes down and running flex pipe to a 2" square tubing exhaust manifold. I plugged one end off and welded a 1" pipe coupler into the other end. I installed a pipe nipple a 90 degree fitting and a mufler from Napa and I was in business. I braced the manifold to the frame by using a couple legs bolted to the existing holes in the side of the frame. I plan to have a couple tubes bent at the muffler shop that will allow me to move the manifold closer to the engine and route the pipe out the side without hacking up my hood (too much). I came out on the right side and my loader arms clear the muffler. Later, Chad