Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Tragu

Snow Thrower Belt Length

Tragu
I recently obtained a Simplicity #1690032 42" snow thrower with front hitch w/guide pulley and a 144" belt. When trying to install the belt on my Simp. 3416H I discovered 144" was much too long. I then tried the blower on my Deutz 916H and found the belt to be about 4" or so too short even with the back lower stationary pulley slid all the way forward. I also changed positions of the spring loaded idler to the lower hole that is at a better angle for the blower belt than the mower deck. Can anyone tell me the appropriate belt lengths for these two tractors and/or if I am doing something wrong? Thanks, Brent

dlcentral
Sounds like you have a few problems there! 1st the RIGHT belt for the 900 Ser. tractor providing the 1690032 blower came off of a 900AC or a 7100 Sim.is a 1666798---147.1" long If the thrower came off a 700AC or a 7000 Sim. the belt won't be right as the frame lengths between the 2 series differ by about 2", the 900/7100series being the longer frames. The 700AC and7000Sim. drove their throwers off a frt. mounted mechanical clutch that was mounted to the eng. crankshaft,with 2 idlers mounted to the thrower hitch.Belt lenght on that thrower is 66.1" or #174224. I have 2 of the 1666798 belts in stock and they are 30% off dealer list of about $52 I think. Good Luck! dlc

dlcentral
Yes you could mount the thrower on the 3416 BUT you would need a different hitch with the hardware welded on[which I do not have!] for those 2 idlers AND the eng. clutch[which I have]The right belt should be for this frt. PTO is the 66.1" one I mentioned above.I don't know however off-hand the right ID# of the hitch you would need for this application.Good to hear you're in business with the thrower and the 900 series tractor! dlc

Les
Last year I ran a 42" blower on my B-112 using the new style hitch. I wrapped a string around the pulleys and measured it, came to 118". The longest belt they had at Tractor Supply was a 114". It pulls the idler spring a little more than it should, but it blew snow!(Last March anyway). The problem I had was aligning the idler pulley on the hitch. I took a "u" shaped piece of iron and smashed it to get the pulley at the right angle. It was either that or cut and reweld the bracket on the hitch which I didnt want to do. This year my Agco 918 is my primary snow blower and the B-112 is the backup. Yes you do have to move the idler pully the the second position to get the right angle for the belt. Is it possible that someone retro-fitted a smaller pulley on the blower? I believe mine has a 7" diameter pulley on it.

dlcentral
Thanks for the offer dlc, but I decided I couldn't wait and went to the local Sim. dealer this morning and purchased a 47.1" belt. Just finished the install and it worked great on the AC 916H. The dealer shows the shorter belt listed for the Sim. 3416H, which I assume would mean I'd need the front clutch and 2 idlers you talked about, but it sure looks to me like it would work on the 3416H using the same install technique as on the 916H only with a shorter belt (if I only knew what belt w/o buy and try). Any comment?

Les
I don't believe the thrower pulley has been changed. It is just a matter of the frame on the 3416 being shorter than on 916. I originally hitched the thrower on the 3416 and discovered the Gates 144" belt that came with the thrower was way too long. I thought it might be the RIGHT belt for the 916 so I repeated the process on it and found the 144" too short. That's when I decided to ask for help. As dlc said I needed a 147" belt on the 916 which worked great. I haven't gotten around to moving the thrower back to the 3416 and trying the string idea but it sure looked like it would work with a shorter belt on the first go 'round. Thanks to all for the help.