Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mowerman1193

Reading tire size's??

mowerman1193
I am kind of shopping around the net for new tires for my Broadmoor 717.The original tires are 5.30x4.50x6.I was looking at the tri ribs on Tucker Tire Ebay store but the size's they list only have two sets of numbers like 350x6 or400x6 just trying to figure out if these will fit. At first I thought they was high priced but after looking at the stud type tires the tri ribs are cheaper by the time I have them shipped...

jdschool

Mowerman, try your local tire store. I just had a pair of fronts put on my Sovereign for $40., including mounting. I don't see it being much cheaper on the internet when shipping and mounting are added. Just my two cents worth...

andy gartner
Hi M Tire O.D.'s: 13x500x6 = 13.2" 15x600x6 = 15.2" 5.30x4.50x6 = 14.7" One of my tractors recs. a 13x5 or optional 15x6. W/your 717, and Broadmoor series, in general, check tire larger than 5.30x4.50 clears footrest, and width is OK. A

TomSchmit
The 15x6-6 was used on the 4000, 500 and 6000 series lawn tractors, and was never available on the old style Broadmoors like the 717. The wheel rims for these wider tires was different from that used on the Broadmoors. I know that the rim was wider, and I also suspect the backset was different. The bearing (bushing) is different as well, but the shaft hole is the same size and length. That is the good news: These larger wheels/tires will work on the old Broadmoor. I have 2 units wearing this set up. So I won't say for sure that you will have problems if you put the larger tires on your existing wheels, but I would be concerned about the backset issue (ie your new tires may rub on the spindle tubes. There is a club member here just west of Milwaukee who has load of used parts. These wheels (maybe even with good usable rubber) should be available for $10 each! If you are interested, send me an e-mail. Or put in a want ad. Tom Schmit schmitt@liphatech.com

KenK
4.50x6 the last number is your rim diameter, which will have to be the same unless you change wheel size.The first number is width and how tall the tire is.The first numbers can be altered a little.

mowerman1193
Well I agree with Bunky,at least in our area its much cheaper to buy at Tucker Tire. BTW I am not wanting to change the size of tires.Trying to restore this to like original condition...other than I think I will have bar treads on the rear and was thinking about the tri ribs for the front,but the tri ribs are not avalible in the size I need...so I am going to get the stud tires for it that Bunky mentioned for $20 for the pair shipped...My local TSC gets 23 ea. for them...

Bunky
Back when I worked at the Tire Store They always told me there wasn't much mark up in tires but When I can buy 2 for the price of one there is some kind of mark up..... Also you have to understand that probably the tires your gonna get from Tucker are imports where the Tires at TSC are Carlisle's...