Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

720 Hydro problems solved by OEM filter

arnoldir

The story has a happy ending. When I got my 720 home it was so sluggish that it could not climb a 4" curb going backwards in 1st gear, and the 3pt would not lift a 4ft box scraper off the ground. Just installed an OEM filter, nothing else, and the 3pt lifts the box blade, and the tractor can spin the tires going forward with the loader bucket dug into the ground. The old filter was an orange Fram Extraguard with the black grip. If you are using this type of filter on your machine and it is not a problem yet, it may be wise to swap it out. Regards

Could you tell how old the filter was? Or was it brand new. I've been using the fram PH16 on my Ultima hydro, because another member stated that he has used them for many years on his tractors without a problem. Eddy

Hey guys, Eddy, I cannot say for shure how long the filter was on the machine, and I can't comment on the implications on an Ultima hydro. On the 720 the filter is on the suction side of the pump, on an ultima you'd have to check the service manual to see how the oil is routed from the sump. Scott, yes the turd can now be considered a working tractor. I've been wound so tight since I got this machine home, now I can relax and move on. Regards

I for one have been using the PH16 since 1990 on my Wheel Horse and Simplicity units. I never noticed anything out of sorts till last year when they started making the new PH16 with the black grip on them. Another member here this week made note of how these new ph16's did not work for him, thats when I remembered that this last year I started to notice sluggish response on my hydros and hydro lifts, Something I didn't really give much consideration to till now, so I am going to try the Napa brand suggested. I'll agree, OEM filters would be best, but I change 8 or so at a time and it gets expensive if indeed another filter would work that is less expensive. I note that I never had a problem with the older all orange PH16's....

Sam change the Filter and let us know what the results are... Also does someone know the Napa filter number????

Sam I use a Napa 51307 filter and it works just fine. The Simplicity filter number 171439 is called a oil filter in my manual and it crosses directly over to Wix or Napa 51307. You can check this out on Wick's website and there are some specs for this filter on the same site. 8D

The 51307 filter does NOT fit my 720. The threads are not right. you sure about that number? on the box 51307 does not cross over to the Ph16 either...

hi - after all the talk about poss. messing up the hydro with the wrong filter - i just decided to call sandy lake and buy some original ones - $12 a piece + shipping - bought 4 so i dont have wait for shipping next time - see ya

Sam the Napa 51307 and the Fram PH16 both fit my 9020, same threads. The Napa 51307 filter was puchased at a Napa supplier, I still have my bill. Here's a couple of websites, use the Wicks website it is more accurate in finding the proper filter, the Fram site can give you different results on how you search. I use the No.171439 from my manual for both sites. :) My cost is dealer $8.35 retail $12.91 Canadian, that's a good price for Napa 51307. As to why you have two filters with different threads I don't know. The Wix part numbers are the same as Napa, Napa uses Wix filters. [url][/url]http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/ [url][/url]http://www.fram.com

I see the boxes they gave me say 1307. Says it crosses to a fram ph7328. Counter guy must have screwed up on me I guess. I'll try again tomorrow..

Good to hear this solved your problems with the hydro as we know you always take a risk when you buy something sight unseen. I have likewise heard of unfavorable results with the Fram filter.

This is not hydro related but is related to those filters... I had a Chevy S10 Blazer that had alot of miles on it and was getting weak.Anyway I changed the oil in it once and I tried one of those filters(the filters was new back then).That thing knocked like mad for the first 30-45 seconds with that filter on it. IMO there are filters out htere that are filtering too much and causing more damage than good...

Sam I know how you feel, I have had that happen to me many times by the counter man. The problem with this is it takes up all your time running back and forth and not his. :(

http://minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html Interesting reading. Kevin, it was probably the anti-drainback valve leaking.

I used to sell filters for wix and I found that there is a big difference between automotive and hydrolic applications, mainly in the particulate size that can be filtered. As a rule the hydrolic filter has a finer filtering material. OEM is the way to go with out a direct cross for the application.

On the minimopar.net oil filter study Wix, Napa and Purolator get top grades. Fram filters get a 0 for quality. I suspected Fram had gone downhill, I will no longer use Fram for any of my machinery maintenance as of today. :D:D:D

Sam The Wix filters are the same as NAPA filters the difference is in the numbers Napa drops the 5 A 51307 Wix becomes a 1307 NAPA. They also have a Gold line and a silver line. All Wix filters are made to OEM specs. The same valveing the same media paper the same amount of media paper or more. Wix does not take short cuts to save money and maximize profits. Like I have said before just because a filter fits does not mean it is the right filter for the application. I learned in the Garage business along time ago that cheap parts do not make you money, they cost you money in the long run.