Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Well....He tried to save the T-15.......

SmilinSam

The boy found out the hard way that when a Vickers tranny is disengaged to push there are no brakes. Unfortunately it was pointed down the hill towards the shed and it got away. He hopped on and tried the brakes, but we all know where that went.. He tried to steer it clear of the building but had too much momentum to make the turn so he decided to eat the garage door and door frame with the tractor. He didn't get a scratch thankfully but he hit the door frame hard enough to fold the left spindle under and knocked the door frame out 2". Also put a 2' hole in the door. After thinking about it I have to give him an "A" for effort on the driving skills. He did save the tinwork. Must be all the race care games on the Playstation he plays...

Glad to hear I am not the only one who has done stuff like that> As long as he is in good shape, no problems. Neal

Things like this happen to all of Us... But Glad he was alright.. It's good to know this about these Vickers transmisson's I've haven't had one yet...

I had a similar experience last summer. I had just bought my 7116 and knew the brakes weren't very good, but didnt' realize how bad they were. I wound up going down the hill in my back yard with the engine stalled and no brakes. I had to choose between hitting the fence or trying to turn so I wouldn't be going down hill. I chose wrong and wound up with both legs underneath my tipped over machine. Worst thing is that my wife wasn't home and there aren't any neighbors close enough to hear. Luckily, I was able to scrape one leg out and use it to push up and get the other out. Glad everything turned out OK for your son! Later, John

Glad he's ok. happened to me last week, I decided to move the B-110 around back, (now a rolling chasis) picked up the front and walked it down the side of our house, Towards the end of the walk on the right there is a hill that sits on a 35 degree angle, went to turn the tractor around to get it over a 4x4 that holds back the gravel on the patio to the left. the tractor started to go down the hill, I grabbed onto it and the tractor and I both went halfway down I was able to somewhat stop it to get it to go where I wanted to go. Luckly nor I or the B-110 was injured. If the B-110 was damaged you would have seen a ad in the classifieds that said "B-110 Parts For Sale" because it was heading straight for a rock, and that would have been the end of the tranny.

As we all know, metal's replaceable whereas flesh and bone aren't. I'm glad everything worked out well.

Glad to hear that your son is OK. Things like that always happen to me right after a repair or to a nice machine. Right after I got my B-1 going. First time mowing the lawn, my son was driving. We were finishing on a bank. Just as he reached the top of the bank, he ran out of gas. He was going to push it off to the side so the next tractor could pass, but didn't realize that he wasn't quite on the level yet. He left it in gear when he got off and put it in neutral when he got behind it to push. It started rolling backwards and he soon found that he couldn't hold it. It was going too fast for him to jump on and hit the brakes, so he grabbed the steering wheel to turn it away from the creek. It was going way too fast by that time. When it turned, it rolled over three times before stopping on the wheels next to the creek. Kid was unhurt (other than his pride), but the tractor had a broken steering wheel, broken starter/generator bracket, twisted mower deck bail, bent front spindle, flattened fender, and bent lift lever. Pat

I once worked with a guy who had a cherry 55 Chevy with a four speed. He had stopped by his folks house to have his dad look at the engine (wasn't idling smooth). They had a fairly steep,long drive way which lead to the house on top the hill. He left it running with out applying the e-brake and went in to get his dad. He came out just in time to see his cherry 55 Chevy rolling down the hill and hit a huge oak tree head on. Result was the whole dog house wrapped around the tree.

One of my first mistakes with the 700 was rolling it. Luckily the damage was limited to the hood and grille support, however it hasn't been back together since but I am working on it. Glad to hear the boy was OK, these things happen way too fast.:(

I've been there too. First time I tried to load my b10 onto the pickup alone. I couldnt push it up the planks so I let it idle in first gear. My wife asked why I walked behind it instead of riding it up. With about 6 inches to go the big lugs on the ag tires kicked the plank out. It went over backward and sideways bending just the lift arm and the fender and landed on its side. After I reached down and shut it off my wife said "O thats why"