Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Nick

B-110 Paint removal

Nick
After sanding some of the body parts on the B-110, with a orbital sander (took to long) Belt sander, (only got some areas and gouged some of the metal) I tried steel wool. It works on paint removal but its to slow, and falls apart in your hands. I tried one can Klean-Strip brand Methylene Chloride pant stripper,(half a can 7 years old) let it sit for 10 minutes, tried scrubbing with steel wool, and no result. I opened up a brand new can of Red Devil brand Methylene Chloride stripper that had a date on it of 7/16/93. I see why no one used it they couldn't get the child proof cap off. I put it on the side panel Member rokon2813 sold me, and in 5 minutes I scrubbed it with steel wool and the paint came off! I don't now why this can worked and the other can didn't. Maybe like fine wine it had to age? Well, I think I have enough stripper in this can and will be able to take off all the paint I need too.

Nick
I will try to post pics tomorrow, It all depends on the weather though. It is a cheap digital camera, and has no flash. It is interesting to use it too. Lets say you take a photo 5 feet from your subject, the camera will actually have taken that photo at a 10 ft. distance for some reason.

mowerman1193
I tried paint stripper once and it did'nt go as fast as I liked,and I have to do it several times to get to the metal so I never did it again.Maybe I did'nt do it right as I was just a kid then but the memory or it not working real well tells me not to waste my money on the stuff..

jkmustang1
When I was go-for helper in my uncle's restoration shop. We sometimes used Aircraft Finsh Remover. WORKS GREAT !!!! But be carefull strong stuff makes paint bubble it will look like fried egges. Use in a well vented area with heavy rubber gloves Keep water near and rags to wipe it off your skin it will feel like you are on fire if you get it on you. It will make your skin red. Use a puddy knife or other thin blade as a scraper Rince parts with water when done. Be carefull cleaning up the remains also when you dispose of it. We got it by the gallon from auto paint suppler. Not cheap but it works even though many layers of paint 5-7 layers. good luck.

Nick
I know aircraft adhesive remover accidentally took off an automotive finish before. We had accidentally sprayed some in the wrong area! No big deal though as the vehicle was going to be repainted.

jkmustang1
Just an idea how to speed up the project. Wish I could help more because a B-110 is the tractor I am wanting and looking for. We also some times applied A.F.R. with 000 steel wool. It followed curves better and could go places a knife couldn't.