Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dwight V.

Broadmoor 738 help needed

Dwight V.
I have a 1973 and I'm hoping someone has a similiar tractor and can tell me what I'm missing. Both of my front wheels flop around on the axles. To my eye, it looks like I'm missing some bushings or some kind of sleeve between the wheel rim and the axle. The parts book shows a 'service part' called a bearing, which I've ordered. They fit over the axle, but are way too large to fit inside the rim. Also, the OD is not completely round...there is a portion that is leveled off. I don't see any other part listed. The tractor has been this way since I've bought it (11 years ago) but it's the one thing that irritates me, as it makes turning difficult. Tractor hasn't been altered in any way AFAIK. TIA,

BLT
The bearings, two per rim, reffered to are actually grahphite bushings. You need to tap out the remains of the old ones and then tap in the new ones. Can't remember if there are flats in the rim to locate them.

gregc
The bushings should be installed with the flats directly underneath the grease fittings in the rims so that the bushings will clear the grease fitting and will allow grease to enter the assembly.

mowerman1193
I also belive there is two different size bushing.I think Greg posted about it awhile back that the AC B-207 wheels use a different bushing...might be that someone put AC wheels on it too...

Bunky
I put new one's in the 717 I sold you Kevin but I didn't remember 2 different sizes... And yes there is a flat side on the Bushing's and as Greg stated the flats need to go under the Grease fittings...

mowerman1193
Brian,The Broadmoor and the AC B207-B208 had different bushings.If you have the original Broadmoor wheels then there would only be one size for that,but if someone put AC wheels on the front of the Broadmoor and you order parts for the Broadmoor they are not going to fit...

TomSchmit
The 6" rims used on 4000, 5000 and 6000 series tractors used a different bearing as well. This different bearing is much larger outside diameter that the bearing for the old Broadmoors. I suspect that you got this bearing for the 4000/5000/6000 series wheels! Tom Schmit

gregc
Tom, Every parts manual that I have looked at for the 4000/5000/6000 series tractors lists the front wheel bushing, or bearing, as part no. 156316 which is the same one for the older Broadmoors. I haven't looked at all the parts manuals for these tractors though.

Dwight V.
I'm baffled. I don't see any way these bearings will fit in these wheels, they are just too large O.D.. The rims don't appear to have anything inside them like old bearing remnants or anything. The rims look correct and match the rear ones in color and so forth. ?

andy gartner
Dwight Go to the Home page, click on manuals, go to the Simplicity literature site. Plug in you manufacturer's model no. for the 738 which is: # 990898-at bottom of the page. You can download a parts manual, owners manual, and best of all a 64-76 Broadmoor total parts manual for all year's Broadmoors w/every part for every model listed in it.

JeffNemes
The 156316 bushing which is correct for your model (and most others) measures 1 1/8" OD. Really worn bushings can be very thin, making them almost impossible to knock out from behind. The spindle axles will also wear and should be replaced. Leaving them with ridges in them will wear the bushings prematurely.