Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jcoffed

3112H idler pulley

jcoffed
Having trouble with the idler pulley and pivot arm on my 3112H. There is a spring which keeps the idler pulley in contact with the hydro belt when the clutch/brake pedal is released thus transmitting power from the bevel box to the hydro unit. Trouble is that the spring is not strong enough to overcome binding in the pivot. When I loosen the pivot so the pulley arm doesn't bind, the pulley arm wobbles all over the place. This doesn't seem right. There is a hex bolt that serves as a pivot and it goes thru the hydro housing casting. There is a nylok nut on the inside surface of the casting. I think this is wrong. Can't tell what is supposed to be there from the parts book or how it all goes together. Any ideas? Thanks.

MDB
James, I had the same problem on my Dads 3314H, what I found was that there is a steel bushing that the idler arm is suppose to pivit on and that it was seized up inside of the idler arm. You might be able to drive the bushing out and replace it, mine was bad enough that I had to get a new idler arm...

PhanDad
Mike's correct. I had the same problem on my T-12 this spring. Took the pivot arm to the vise and drove the bushing (spacer per the parts description) out after letting pentrating oil sit on it for a while. Sanded the bushing and pivot arm hole, molycoated the works and put it back together. Works fine. I rarely use the clutch/brake when using the tractor. I'm trying to change my routine to use the pedal at least once or twice each use hoping this may extend the time before I have to repeat the procedure.

jcoffed
Thanks for the replies. PhanDad & MDB were correct in their diagnosis. The bushing was seized into the arm. I was able to press it out. It had been like that for quite some time as there were deep gouges where the brake rod and clutch rods were wearing against the arm from the wobbling. The inside face of the bearing bore in the arm was pretty mangled from rubbing against the hydro housing. I am having the mangled areas of the arm welded and I will machine them back down and then press in a new bushing. Thanks for the help.