Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

battery ignition/electronic ignition module

Charlieson

Ive been having spark problems with my 3212. Went through the whole process, replaced points, pulled motor, checked wiring, checked flywheel key, etc. Still dont have any fire. I know that the points are grounding somewhere. Ive been through all this before. I starting thinking about converting to battery ignition or getting one of those electronic ignition module's from NAPA or Jack's. I have a kohler coil handy. How would I go about using it? Do I have to rewire the whole tractor? Doesnt seem like the fire would be just right. Ive wired up kohler's with battery ignition before. Damn things almost always start. And you have lots of spark. If anyone has done this before maybe you could give a short tutorial. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. I want to do whatever is easiest and most reliable.

Charlieson, You might want to read this Do It Yourself Topic: [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/magneto_to_coil.htm[/url]

Charlieson, I have done a couple myself. If you can't figure it out from the previously mentioned posts, drop me a PM and I'll help you wire it.

Thanks, Seems pretty straitforward. Probably gonna give it a try this weekend. ddh

There are a couple of different ways to wire up the system. This is dependent on the ignition switch that you use. I have come up with a way to use the Ground-to-stop-engine type of ignition switch, if you prefer not to change the switch. By the way, I'm not too far from you, since I live in Fredericksburg VA, a couple of hours from Broadway.

I go through fredricksburg on my way to Westmoreland (Luisita) fishing. Havent been over there in a few years though. How does your wiring differ from the above posts? ddh

HubbardRA, I would also be interested in learning how you ran your wiring using the single terminal switch, saves buying one extra component. 0 I plan to try going back to the original points and condensor this weekend, if it doesn't work well, I'm going to the 12volt coil. Thanks in advance, MadMike

Well, I switched over to battery ignition. I used the coil from and condenser from a 12hp kohler that I had. It started right up. Wish I would have done this when I first got the tractor. I have to get another switch though. The one that is on the tractor wont cut it off. I am going to take the tester and test all of the leads and see if one of them has current only in the on position. Thanks for all of the help. I mounted the Coil on top of the head above the generator. ddh

If you are using a Kohler coil with points and condenser, you need an automotive type ignition switch that will put power to the coil in the on position. You can make it work with the original switch by hooking the coil to the accessories terminal. Problem with this is that the accessories terminal cuts off in the start position. One way is to put a push button start switch so that the key switch can remain in the on position when starting. The other way is to use a starter solenoid from an older FORD that has the two small terminals in addition to the two large ones. One of the small terminals is used by the starter switch to energize the solenoid. The other becomes hot when the solenoid is energized. A wire can be run from this terminal to the positive side of the coil to put power to the coil when the ignition key is in the start position. When the key is released after starting, the power will come from the accessories terminal. Both ways will work.

I am thinking of putting a push button starter switch on it. I'll have to make a hole in the front dash somewhere, probably right below the key, it wont be original but it will work. ddh

I ran the wire from the accessories terminal and She works great. I also got the varidrive adjustments down and it shifts great. Thanks for all of the advice and heads up. ddh