Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
country

BGB oil change - where's drain plug?

country
OK, have changed the tranny oil in the hydro on the AC 917. I still need to change the BGB oil, but feeling like an idiot, I can't seem to find the drain plug that the manual points out in the picture. Can someone enlighten me please? Also, make sure you have the proper tools to refill something before draining the oil. I drained the oil out of the hydro before realizing I didn't have a small enough funnel to refill it. Thin cardboard and duct tape rescued me and I made a small mouth funnel myself that worked good enough to refill it. FYI!

BillC
My 2000 Sovereign's bevel gearbox cover did not come with a drain plug. Someone at Simplicity must have come up with another cost reduction idea. So, I came up with a better idea. I removed the cover, drilled a hole in it in the same location as an older cover with the drain plug, welded a nut on the outside of the cover and screwed a magnetic oil drain plug into the nut. And as always, refilled the gearbox with Mobil 1 synthetic gear lubricant.

country
BillC, since my AC 917 is of the early '80's vintage, I am now assuming the BGB has no drain plug. I know I'm not crazy, cause I sure couldn't find a plug. Guess I'll have to do the remove cover and make a plug deal as well. Thanks for the info.

country
My manual (original with tractor) calls for the Allis Chalmers power fluid. It is the same fluid used in the hydro tranny. The BGB has a fill plug that is 1/8" NPT with a tube or roll pin attached. My manual states to fill to the bottom of the tube. I have drained it, but not refilled it. My AC 917 has no drain plug, so I had to pull the back cover. I have it cleaned, just have to make a gasket and put it back on to fill. I'm not sure what fluid it was supposed to have from the factory, but I can assure you it was much thinner than 90W gear oil that many like to use.

UCD
Look at this chart [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11716[/url] Some call for 90wt, some Simplicity multi purpose hyd oil. Some hydrostatic call for ATF some Simplicity multi purpose hyd oil. Same trannys same gear box's, just different models.